M, #13429, b. circa 1675, d. 1730
|Contract*|| On 31 October 1705 Gerrit Gerrits concluded a contract with Claas Jansz van Rensburg for the latter to work for him as a bouwknecht - farm labourer - and for any other work that was needed. His wage was twelve guilders a month. The relationship endured just more than three months, until 8 February 1706 when the contract was dissolved. It is also significant that that Gerrit Gerrits was from Oldenburg - the Duchy of Oldenborg, under Danish rule at the time, and also close to Rensburg.5,6 |
- [S521] Margaret Cairns, "Gerrit Gerrits of Oldenburg and Susanna of Bambaser: An early 18th century couple", Familia (Gerrits & Bambaser) 17, nr. 3/4 (1990): An illiterate man who managed only an X for his signature throughout his life, Gerrits is documented as a soldier from Oldenburg, a town and a small state lying between East Friesland and Bremen.. Hereinafter cited as "Gerrits & Bambaser."
- [S21] Date estimated by compiler, Delia Robertson and, unless there is corroborating information, should not be considered as anything more than a guide.
- [S521] Margaret Cairns, "Gerrits & Bambaser", After the death of Anthony, Susanna, with or without the two children, (there is no further mention of them) apparently made her way to the Cape for there is no evidence that Gerrits was ever resident in the Stellenbosch district. Somehow she came under his protection, and into his home, where she remained for the rest of her life of thirty-five years as his wife in all but name, and the mother of their five children.
- [S521] Margaret Cairns, "Gerrits & Bambaser", After he had sold this in 1714 he settled down on a smaller farm at Mowbray on the southern boundary of Valkenburg. This was a portion of the property Liesbeek and was described as “omtrent Rondebosje” in his will and here he died in 1730.
- [S898] Elmien Wood, "My naam is Van Rensburg, Janse van Rensburg", Capensis - My naam is Van Rensburg, Janse van Rensburg. Of is dit Bruin of dalk Schim? 3/2012 (September 2012): Twee dae later teken Claas 'n nuwe kontrak met Gerrit Gerrits van Oldenburg (Kontrakte, 1705). Hierdie kontrak wat op 31 Oktober 1705 onderteken is, het bepaal dat hy as boukneg (bouwknecht = landboukneg) vir Gerrit Gerrits sou gaan werk en vir wat hy hom ookal nodig kan kry. Sy loon is nou twaalf gulde per maand. … Hierdie dienstydperk van Claas het nie lank geduur nie. Op 8 Februarie 1706, is die kontrak ontbind…. Hereinafter cited as "My naam is Van Rensburg, Janse van Rensburg."
- [S629] Personal communications between Mansell Upham and Delia Robertson, 2010-present. Duchy of Oldenborg - under the Danish crown and also very close to Rendsburg!
- [S502] Website Family Search (www.familysearch.org) "1717. 22. do. [Augusti.] Caspar. Jacobus Pester [Bester?], en Anna Haselaar. Gerrit van Oldenburg, Catharina Antonisz.
1722. 22 Maart. Gerrit Engel Engelsz. & Arij Lekkerwijn, en Maria Gerritsz.
Willem Anna Hasselaar. Hans Hendrik __________ en Elizabeth Antonijsz
1720. eod. Do. [18 Februarij]. Sibilla. Engels Engels. En Anna Haselaar. Harmanus Gerritsz, en Aeltje Gerritsz.
- [S734] VC 604, NGK Baptism Registers 1695-1712 (Cape Town): 1701. 20 Mart: van Gerrit Gerritze van Oldenburg, de moeder Susanna, onder getuyge van Jan Versluijs en Anslaar gent: - Hermanus, (1695-1712), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/, http://www.eggsa.org/. Hereinafter cited as NGK Baptism Registers 1695-1712 (Cape Town).
- [S734] VC 604, NGK Baptism Registers 1695-1712 (Cape Town), 1695-1712, Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/
- [S521] Margaret Cairns, "Gerrits & Bambaser", Maria Gerrits bap. 30.8.1705 died 30.3.1738. At the age of 17 she married Rudolph Brits from Koornhoop. Their marriage given as on 5.12.1722 in DV/P has not been found.