Claes Kath van Bengale1
M, #13734, b. 1653/54
|BirthOrigin*||Claes was from Bengal and may have been born there in 1653/54. He was 20 when sold as a slave in 1674. The toponym 'van Bengale' or from Bengal was a term loosely applied during the period of VOC dominance to enslaved or formerly enslaved people from any of the countries bordering the Bay of Bengal.2,1,3|
|Slave Transactions||Claes Kath van Bengale and Joan van Tayouan were sold by Lazarus Wichelhuijlsen, to Wouter Mostert on 19 May 1674 de Caep de Goede Hoop, for Rds 180.4,5,6|
On 5 April 1682 Claes Kath van Bengale was sold by Hester Weijers to Albert Barendts de Caep de Goede Hoop.1
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700 (Cape Town: Tafelberg, 1977), p. 139, 5.4.1682: Claes Kath from Bengal, sold by Hester van Lier to Albert Barentsz for Rds. 90.. Hereinafter cited as Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700.
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, p. 130, 19.05.1674, VI, p.111 : Claas from Bengal (20) and Joan from Sayoon [Taiwan] sold by Lazarus Wiegelhuijsen [Wichelhuijlsen] to Wouter Mostaert for Rds. 180.
- [S21] Date estimated by compiler, Delia Robertson and, unless there is corroborating information, should not be considered as anything more than a guide.
- [S607] J.L. (Leon) Hattingh, "Kaapse notariële stukke waarin slawe van vryburgers en amptenare vermeld word (II), Die tweede Dekade 1671-1680", Kronos (Die notariële stukke II) 15 (1999): 19.5.1674 CTD 6, p. 111
Lazarus Wichelhuijsen, boekhouer in diens, verkoop aan Wouter Mostert twee lyfeies Claas van Bengale, 20 jaar oud, en Joan van Tayaan [Taiwan], 22 jaar, vir 180 Rds.. Hereinafter cited as "Die notariële stukke II."
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, p. 130, 19.05.1674, VI, p.111 : Claas from Bengal (20) and Joan from Sayoon (22), sold by Lazarus Wiegelhuijsen to Wouter Mostaert for Rds. 180.
- [S432] Robert C-H Shell compiler, Changing Hands, A calendar of bondage in southern Africa, 1550 to 1888, CD-ROM; ISBN 1-86918-063-1; (Cape Town: Ancestry24, September 2007). Hereinafter cited as Changing Hands.