M, #13893, b. circa 1630
|BirthOrigin*||Maerten was from Amsterdam and may have been born there circa 1630. His age is estimated.2|
|Marriage*||He married Cathalijntje Abrams circa 1659.1|
|Cathalijntje Abrams b. c 1639|
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||20 March 1656, the name of Maerten was written in the record as Maerten Jacobsz.2|
|Monsterrollen and Opgaafrollen (Muster and tax rolls)||On 20 March 1656 Maerten Jacobsz was enumerated in the muster roll, as an arquebusier.2|
On 31 May 1657 Maerten Jacobsz was enumerated in the muster roll, as a arquebusier earning f 11 per month.3
In 1660 Maerten Jacobsz was enumerated in the muster roll, he was recorded as of Amsterdam, master gardener.4
|Vrijbriewen and Burgher Status||On 15 May 1660, Maerten Jacobsz was granted a vrijbrief or letter of freedom which released him from his contractual obligations to the VOC and accorded him the status of vrijburgher or free burgher. He was recorded as a master gardener at the Fort.5|
- [S654] Mansell Upham 'What can't be cured, must be endured … Cape of Good Hope - first marriages & baptisms (1652-1665)', First Fifty Years, Uprooted Lives - Unfurling the Cape of Good Hope's Earliest Colonial Inhabitants (1652-1713), (http://e-family.co.za/ffy/ui66.htm), January 2012. "Cornelis Jacobs son of Maarten Jacobs(sen) (from Amsterdam) & Cathalijntje Abra(ha)ms: (from Rijssel); dies in infancy Cape (8 January 1661).
"Cornelis Martenssen, a child of the free gardener Marten Jacobssen [from Amsterdam] died at 9 o'clock in the evening"."
- [S647] Precis of the archives of the Cape of Good Hope, Letters Despatched 1652-1662 to which are added land grants, attestations, Journal of voyage to Tristan da Cunha, names of freemen, &c. Vol III, H.C.V. Leibrandt; (Cape Town, South Africa: W.A. Richards & Sons, Government Printers, 1900), p.284-286. Hereinafter cited as Precis of the archives of the Cape of Good Hope.
- [S647] Precis of the archives of the Cape of Good Hope, pp.287-289.
- [S647] Precis of the archives of the Cape of Good Hope, p.299.
- [S647] Precis of the archives of the Cape of Good Hope, p.269. Marten Jacobsz:, of Amsterdam, master gardener at the Fort. Granted 15th May., 1660.