Claas van Bengale1
M, #15588, b. circa 1660
|BirthOrigin*||Claas was from Bengal and perhaps born there circa 1660. Van Bengale - or from Bengal - was a term loosely applied during the period of VOC dominance to enslaved or formerly enslaved people from any of the countries bordering the Bay of Bengal.1,2|
|Slave Transactions||On 2 January 1679 Claas van Bengale was sold by Cornelis Wobma to Andrijs de Man, for Rds. 45.3,4|
On 13 December 1692 Claas van Bengale was sold by Andrijs de Man to Hendrick Bouman, for Rds. 100.5
|Slave Emancipations||On 15 September 1695 Claas van Bengale purchased his freedom from Hendrick Bouman, for f 500.6|
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700 (Cape Town: Tafelberg, 1977), p.136.. Hereinafter cited as Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700.
- [S21] Date estimated by compiler, Delia Robertson and, unless there is corroborating information, should not be considered as anything more than a guide.
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, p.136. 2.1.1679, Vol. X is unpaginated: Claas from Bengal sold by Cornelis Wobma to Andries de Man for Rds. 45.
- [S607] J.L. (Leon) Hattingh, "Kaapse notariële stukke waarin slawe van vryburgers en amptenare vermeld word (II), Die tweede Dekade 1671-1680", Kronos (Die notariële stukke II) 15 (1999): 2.1.1679 [Verlore, TS 2]
Comelis Wobma verkoop aan Andries de Man die slaaf Claas van Bengale vir 45 Rds.. Hereinafter cited as "Die notariële stukke II."
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, p.162. 13.12.1692, p. 198: Claas from Bengal, sold by Andries de Man to Hendrik Bouman for Rds. 100.
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, p.171. 15.9.1695, pp. 165 (verso)- 166: Claas from Bengal, manumitted by Hendrik Bouman on payment of f 500.