Simon van Bengale1
M, #16273, b. 1672/73
|BirthOrigin*||Simon was from Bengal and was perhaps born there in 1672/73. Van Bengale - or from Bengal - was a term loosely applied during the period of VOC dominance to enslaved or formerly enslaved people from any of the countries bordering the Bay of Bengal. He was said to be both 23 and 24 years old in 1696.2,3|
|Slave Transactions||On 12 June 1696 Simon van Bengale was sold on behalf of Jan Tent by Joris van Stralen to Jan Cotse, for Rds. 110.4|
On 12 September 1696 Simon van Bengale was sold by Jan Kotze to Hendrick Mulder, for Rds. 112.5
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700 (Cape Town: Tafelberg, 1977), p.173.. Hereinafter cited as Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700.
- [S432] Robert C-H Shell compiler, Changing Hands, A calendar of bondage in southern Africa, 1550 to 1888, CD-ROM; ISBN 1-86918-063-1; (Cape Town: Ancestry24, September 2007), Sequence IDNO: 1068
Slaves First Name: Sijmon
Presumed Place Of Origin: van Bengal
Day Of Sale: 12
Month Of Sale: 6
Year Of Sale: 1696
Type Of Sale: Oceanic
Type Of Name: Christian
Continental Origin Code: Indian Sub Continent
Slaves Age: 23
Slaves Gender: Male
Price In Rixdollars: 110
Sellers Last Name: Tent
Sellers First Name: Simon
Sellers Gender: Male
Sellers Domicile: Batavia
Sellers Occupation: Occupation
Buyers Last Name: Coetzee
Buyers First Name: Jan
Buyers Civil Status: burgher
Buyers Gender: Male
Buyers Domicile: Table valley
Buyers Occupation: market gardener
Comments And References: Seller
Primary Reference: Transporten en Scheepeniskennis. Hereinafter cited as Changing Hands.
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, pp.173-174.
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, p.173. 12.6.1696, pp. 73 (recto et verso): Simon from Bengal sold by Joris van Straaten, on behalf of Jan Tent of Batavia, to Jan Cotze for Rds. 110.
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, p. 174. 12.9.1696, pp. 102 (verso) 103: Simon from Bengal (24/25), sold by Jan Cotze to Hendrik Mulder for Rds. 112.