M, #18879, b. 1617, d. 12 May 1673
|Birth*||Joannes Cunaeus was born in 1617 in Leiden, .1|
|Death*||He died on 12 May 1673 Leiden.1|
|(Official) LandGrant|| Circa 1658, Bosheuvel Property was was granted to Joannes Cunaeus by visiting commisioner.2 |
|Occupation*|| Between 6 March 1658 and 19 March 1658 Joannes Cunaeus was a visiting commissioner at the Cape.1 |
- [S816] Website dbnl digitale biblioitheek nederlandse letteren (http://www.dbnl.org/index.php) "http://www.dbnl.org/tekst/molh003nieu01_01/…."
- [S911] Website Bishop's Court Residents Association (http://bcra.co.za/constitution/early-history/) "Prof. Thom notes that “The Commander’s farm at Bosheuvel – today Bishop’s Court – soon became one of the finest farms of the day.”
The Standard Encyclopaedia of Southern Africa (SESA) Cape Town, 1970, records that the historic farm BOSHEUVEL, “was granted in 1658 on loan by Commissioner Johannes Cunaeus to Commander Jan van Riebeeck. It is now known as Bishopscourt, after the official residence of the Anglican Archbishop of Cape Town. For 280 years the farm retained its original borders, which enclosed slightly more than 211 acres when granted to van Riebeeck.”
“The first wine at the Cape was probably made on this farm. The vineyards had developed beautifully by the time van Riebeeck left the Cape (1662). After his departure, van Riebeeck’s improvements were bought by Jacob Cornelius van Rosendaal, who produced the best wine at the Cape at that time.”."