M, #5707, b. before 13 November 1718
|Geesje Steenkamp b. b 4 Jul 1723|
- Gesina Nel6 b. b 19 Nov 1758
- Jan Nel b. b 23 Nov 1760
|Notes||I originally had Gesina Steenkamp daughter of Gesina Visser as the spouse of Jean Labuscaigne and Jan Nel. However, her mother died before 1720 when her father Jan Steenkamp remarried as a widow. In 1723, with his wife Johanna van Eck he baptised a second daughter, Geesje Steenkamp, with the same name, who clearly seems to be named for her older, deceased sibling. For these reasons, and also because the wife of Jan Nel had her last child in 1767, when the daughter of Gesina Visser would have been past child-bearing age, it is in my view, this second daughter who became wife to Jan Labuscaigne and Jan Nel. My thanks to Sharon Marshall for bringing this to my attention.|
|Vrijbriewen and Burgher Status||Jan Nel became a burgherin Dutch vryburgher or vrijburgher, initially a status in which a soldier or other employee of the VOC was released from their contractual obligations to the VOC and permitted to farm, become a tradesman, or work for others. Subsequently some individuals, including the Huguenot refugees, were brought to the Cape specifically to farm and were burghers from the time of their arrival Swellendam.3,4|
- [S21] Date estimated by compiler, Delia Robertson and, unless there is corroborating information, should not be considered as anything more than a guide - based on date of baptism.
- [S325] Lorna Newcomb and Ockert Malan, compilers, Annale van Nederduits Gereformeerde Moedergemeente Stellenbosch No 1.., CD-ROM (Stellenbosch) Die Genootskap vir die Kerkversameling, 2004 0-9584832-1-3), Baptism Register, Jan, d'Vader Jan Nel, d'Moeder Sùsanna Fleùrij, getù Jesaias en Jùdith Nel: 13e 9br 1718.. Hereinafter cited as Palmkronieke I Baptisms.
- [S190] C.C. de Villiers & C. Pama, Geslagregisters van ou Kaapse Families II L-R (Cape Town / Amsterdam: A.A. Balkema, 1966), Page 624. Hereinafter cited as Geslagregisters van ou Kaapse Families II L-R.
- [S226] GISA, South African Genealogies 6 N, GISA SA Genealogies (Stellenbosch, South Africa: Genealogical Institute of South Africa, 2000). Hereinafter cited as S.A. Genealogies 6 N.
- [S532] Website The Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA branch (http://www.eggsa.org/) "[29 Dec 1754] 1754, den 29 Xbr: Jan Nel van Cabo de Goede Hoop, jongman burger aan Swellendam met Geesje Steenkamp van Cabo voornt., wedw. wijle Jan La Buscagne."
- [S190] C.C. de Villiers & C. Pama, Geslagregisters van ou Kaapse Families II L-R, p.624.