M, #6796, b. circa 1655, d. 1696
|Vrijbriewen and Burgher Status||Jan Smit became a Burgher apparently circa 1687, in Dutch Vryburgher or Vrijburgher, a status in which a soldier or other employee of the VOC was released from their contractual obligations to the VOC and permitted to farm, become a tradesman, or work for others. This would fit in with the 1705 declaration which indicated that between 1687 and his demise, he had owned property in the fertile valley near Stellenbosch now known as Jonkershoek.3|
- [S21] Date estimated by compiler, Delia Robertson and, unless there is corroborating information, should not be considered as anything more than a guide - based on date of marriage.
- [S331] Webpage Ball Family Records (www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk) "http://www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk/smit/I142.html."
- [S331] Webpage Ball Family Records (www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk) "http://www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk/smit/I224.html; last accessed on 11 May 2011. "In a declarion signed before the Secretary of Stellenbosch on the 11th October 1705 and witnessed by Augustus Meijhuijsen and Jacobus Smit, Johannes Mulder and Dirk Coetsee, both Old Heemraden, stated that it was known to them that a certain farm in Jan de Jonkers Hoek, to the east above the farm of the late Jan de Jonker, had been in the possesion of Jan Smit from 1687 until his death and was still in the possesion of Andries Cuijper as the husband of Jan Smit's widow.""
- [S900] Website Archiefdienst voor de gemeenten Delft, Midden-Delfland, Pijnacker-Nootdorp en Rijswijk (https://www.archief-delft.nl/) "Baptism on January 10, 1683 in Delft (Netherlands)
Father - Jan Smit
Mother - Adriana Tols
Child - Joannis Smit
Witnesses - Adriaan van der Piet, Elijsabet Tols, Wilmpie Pinerdas
Archive Delft (Netherlands) - Church records baptisms
Collectie Doop-, Trouw- en Begraafboeken van Delft [open data, versie 20160128], Delft, archive 14, inventory number 00059, Doopboeken Nieuwe Kerk, 1683 - 1710, folio 1v."
- [S191] C.C. de Villiers & C. Pama, Geslagregisters van ou Kaapse Families III S-Z (Cape Town / Amsterdam: A.A. Balkema, 1966), p.886-887. Hereinafter cited as Geslagregisters van ou Kaapse Families III S-K.
- [S325] Lorna Newcomb and Ockert Malan, compilers, Annale van Nederduits Gereformeerde Moedergemeente Stellenbosch No 1.., CD-ROM (Stellenbosch) Die Genootskap vir die Kerkversameling, 2004 0-9584832-1-3), Baptism Register. Hereinafter cited as Palmkronieke I Baptisms.
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms, Lorna:
Hilletje = 1.4.1691 was d/v Jan Smit van Maastricht en Adriana Tol van Delft. Sy is onsedelik aangerand deur Jacob van die Kus van Coromandel in 1705. Hy is ter dood veroordeel. (CJ 782: 4 van 6.6.1705).
- [S331] Webpage Ball Family Records (www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk) "http://www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk/smit/I224.html##I152, accessed on 6 June 2009."
- [S371] Website Rootsweb's World Connect (http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com).