M, #6871, b. circa 1660
|NGK (Cape Town) Marriages1665-1695||NGK (Cape Town) Marriages 1665-1695|
|NGK Stellenbosch Baptisms 1688-1732||NGK Stellenbosch Baptisms 1688-1732|
|Birth*||Michiel Rodement was born circa 1660.2|
|Marriage*||He married Cornelia Bogaerts, daughter of Marij van Angola, on 11 July 1683 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, (Cape Town), de Caep de Goede Hoop.1|
|Cornelia Bogaerts b. May 1669|
|Farm*||In 1707 Michiel Rodement owned the farm Zandvliet at Eerste River, Stellenbosch, which he purchased from the minister.3|
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||17 February 1709, the name of Michiel was written in the record as Maggiel Romont.4|
|Baptisms - Witness||Michiel Rodement and Cornelia Bogaerts witnessed the baptism of Cornelia Romont on 17 February 1709 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Stellenbosch, de Caep de Goede Hoop.5 See: Baptism of Cornelia Romont|
|Vrijbriewen and Burgher Status||On 11 July 1683, Michiel Rodement was described as a vryman, i.e. a vryburgher or vrijburgher, in the record of his marriage. At the time, this was his status on Mauritius, as he was on a temporary visit to the Cape.1,6|
- [S392] NGK G1 1/1, Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Mar), 1665-1695: ao' 1683
den 11.dito [Julii]
Michiel Rodement vryman en Cornelia Bogaerts, transcribed by Richard Ball, Norfolk, England, (May 2006), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/. Hereinafter cited as Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Mar).
- [S21] Date estimated by compiler, Delia Robertson and, unless there is corroborating information, should not be considered as anything more than a guide.
- [S842] First Fifty Years project on Facebook, posts by Mansell Upham, online www.facebook.com/FirstFiftyYearsProject, When the the Dutch abandon their colony on Mauritius (1707), Romond returns with his family to the Cape settling at "Zandvliet" at Eerste River, Stellenbosch - which farm he purchases from the recalled Minister Petrus Kalden before relocating to the Hottentots-Holland [Somrset West] after being granted (1720) the farm "Helderberg" ...
A portion of this farm was in recent years developed into a micro-winery named in his honour: "Romond Vineyards" .... Hereinafter cited as FFY FB post Mansell Upham.
- [S325] Lorna Newcomb and Ockert Malan, compilers, Annale van Nederduits Gereformeerde Moedergemeente Stellenbosch No 1.., CD-ROM (Stellenbosch) Die Genootskap vir die Kerkversameling, 2004 0-9584832-1-3), Baptism Register, Cornelia, d'Vader Gerrit Romant, d'Moeder Jannetie Romont, getùygen Maggiel Romont en Cornelia Romont. (gebore 4e Jùly 1707) gedoopt 17 Febry 1709.. Hereinafter cited as Palmkronieke I Baptisms.
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms, Cornelia, d'Vader Gerrit Romont, d'Moeder Jannetie Romont, getùygen Maggiel Romont en Cornelia Romont. (gebore 4e Jùly 1707) gedoopt 17 Febry 1709.
- [S842] FFY FB post Mansell Upham, online www.facebook.com/FirstFiftyYearsProject, Romond was a French Protestant who had worked his passage from Batavia on a Danish Indiaman but deserting to an English ship "Unicorn" when stopping over at Bantam & deserting again (with 6 other Frenchmen) when the ship stopped at Mauritius staying on the island as a free-burgher where he falls out with both Commanders Isaac Johannes Lamotius & Roelof Diodati (husband to in/famous Cape aborigine Eva Meerhoff born Krotoa`s granddaughter Catharina Saaijmans: [Zaaiman]) ...
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms, Lorna:
Gerrit (= 5.9.1683) is slegs as s/v Cornelia Bogaert gedoop en was Michiel Romont waarskynlik nie sy vader nie alhoewel hy sy van geneem het. 11.7.1683 trou Michiel Romont met Cornelia Bogaert; Michiel, woonagtig op Mauritius, was in die Kaap ten tye van sy huwelik om as segsman vir die burgers op te tree. Hy gaan terug na Mauritius in 1684. Sien Dan Sleigh se `Buiteposte' p.649/650. Gerrit Romont was getroud met Jannetje van Madras wie kinders by Machiel Heylon gehad het.
- [S842] FFY FB post Mansell Upham, online www.facebook.com/FirstFiftyYearsProject, Although born of an unknown biological father, he was legitimised just a few months prior to his baptism when his mother wed (11 July 1683) his adoptive father Michael Romond (from Zutphen) then visiting the Cape from Mauritius to convey grievances of his fellow free-burghers on the island to Cape Commander Simon van der Stel...
- [S190] C.C. de Villiers & C. Pama, Geslagregisters van ou Kaapse Families II L-R (Cape Town / Amsterdam: A.A. Balkema, 1966), p. 789. Hereinafter cited as Geslagregisters van ou Kaapse Families II L-R.