M, #7024, b. circa 1700
|Father-Disproved*||Matthys Greef b. c 1660; It seems unlikely that Matthys Greeff and Susanna Claasz were parents to Jacobus Greeff1,2|
|Mother-Disproved*||Susanna Claasz b. 14 Feb 1672; It seems unlikely that Matthys Greeff and Susanna Claasz were parents to Jacobus Greeff1,2|
|NGK Stellenbosch Baptisms 1688-1732||NGK Stellenbosch Baptisms 1688-1732|
|Birth*||Jacobus Greef was born circa 1700.2|
|Marriage*||He married Maria Lorentz, daughter of Jan Lorenz and Anna Elizabeth Michelsz, on 14 January 1725 Nederduitsche Gereformeerde Kerk, Stellenbosch, de Caep de Goede Hoop.3,4|
|Baptisms - Witness||Jacobus Greef and Susanna Visser witnessed the baptism of Jacobus Oelofse on 9 October 1718 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Stellenbosch, de Caep de Goede Hoop.5|
He and Susanna Fourie witnessed the baptism of Johannes Micchiel Hatting on 12 September 1723 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Stellenbosch, de Caep de Goede Hoop.6
- [S532] Website The Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA branch (http://www.eggsa.org/) "Jacobus Greeff, who is reported by SA Genealogies to have married Maria Louwrens on 14.1.1725, appears to have been missorted by the editors of SA Genealogies. He is not the child of Matthijs Greeff and Susanna Claasen. He appears nowhere in the six documents listed above, while all the family of Matthijs and Susanna do appear in these documents. Jacobus Greeff was never any part of the family described by those documents. Hoge does not mention him in Personalia of Germans at the Cape, 1652 - 1806.
Marija Rostok, wife of Jacobus Greeff, appears in the members register of Stellenbosch Church11 in the early eighteenth century, with notes by the editors that confirm his marriage (and his existence): "238. Maria (Rostock) ~ 18-10-1705 dv Jan Lourens van Rostock en Anna Elizabeth Michiels; x 14-1-1725 Jacobus Greef; xx 4-11-1736 Andries Harting s/v Jan Harmenz Harting." This note explains why she is variously referred to as both Rostock and Louwrens. There is never any link between her and Matthijs and Susanna, who would have been her parents-in-law, had Jacobus been their son. All the other children in law of Matthijs and Susanna are directly linked to them in several official documents.
- [S151] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, South African Genealogies 2 D-G (Pretoria, South Africa: Human Science Research Council, 1989), p. 521. Hereinafter cited as S.A. Genealogies 2 D-G.
- [S532] Website eGSSA (http://www.eggsa.org/) "1725/14e Janry: Jacobùs Greeff en Maria Van Rostok van Cabo de goede Hoop."
- [S150] Edited & augmented by GISA Originally compiled by J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, South African Genealogies 5 L-M, GISA SA Genealogies (Stellenbosch, South Africa: Genealogical Institute of South Africa, 1999), p. 239. Hereinafter cited as S.A. Genealogies 5 L-M.
- [S325] Lorna Newcomb and Ockert Malan, compilers, Annale van Nederduits Gereformeerde Moedergemeente Stellenbosch No 1.., CD-ROM (Stellenbosch) Die Genootskap vir die Kerkversameling, 2004 0-9584832-1-3), Baptism Register, Jacobùs, d'Vader Leendert Oelofse, d'oeder Margriet Beijer, getù Jacobùs Greev, en Sùsanna Visser, 9e 8br 1718.. Hereinafter cited as Palmkronieke I Baptisms.
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms, Johannes Micchiel, d'Vader Hans Hendrik Hatting, Moeder Sùsanna Visser, getn' Sùsanna Fleùry, en Jacobùs Greev, den 12e 7b 1723.