|NGK (Cape Town) Baptisms 1665-1695||NGK (Cape Town) Baptisms 1665-1695|
|NGK (Cape Town) Marriages1695-1712||NGK (Cape Town) Marriages 1695-1712|
|NGK Stellenbosch Baptisms 1688-1732||NGK Stellenbosch Baptisms 1688-1732|
|BirthOrigin*||Johannes was from Dresden and may have been born there circa 1680.1,2|
|Marriage*||He married Barbara van Brakel, daughter of Adriaan Willemsz van Brakel and Sara Roosendaal, on 29 December 1709 Nederduitsche Gereformeerde Kerk, (Cape Town), de Caep de Goede Hoop.3,4,5|
|Marriage*||He married Aletta van Wyk, daughter of Arie van Wijk and Cornelia Helm, on 21 October 1714.2|
|Barbara van Brakel b. b 14 Nov 1688|
|Aletta van Wyk b. b 15 Jul 1696|
|Employment*||Johannes Craaij was employed by the VOC as a soldier between 1708 and 1710 de Caep de Goede Hoop.5|
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||Johannes Craaij was also known as Johannes Kraaij.6|
24 May 1716, the name of Johannes was written in the record as Joannes Craa.7
|Baptisms - Witness||Johannes Craaij and Cornelia Helm witnessed the baptism of Johannes Jacobus Coetser on 24 May 1716 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Stellenbosch, de Caep de Goede Hoop.7|
He and Aletta van Wyk witnessed the baptism of Magdalena Keyser on 11 May 1721 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Stellenbosch, de Caep de Goede Hoop.8
|Vrijbriewen and Burgher Status||Johannes Craaij became a burgher circa 1711, in Dutch vryburgher or vrijburgher, initially a status in which a soldier or other employee of the VOC was released from their contractual obligations to the VOC and permitted to farm, become a tradesman, or work for others. Subsequently some individuals, including the Huguenot refugees, were brought to the Cape specifically to farm and were burghers from the time of their arrival Veldhuysen, Drakenstein, de Caep de Goede Hoop.5|
- [S204] Dr. J. Hoge, Personalia of the Germans at the Cape, 1652-1806, Archives Year Book for South African History (Cape Town: Government Printer, Union of South Africa, 1946), CRAY, JOHANNES (S Cray and Craa). – Dresden. So. 1708-1.0, later burgher and owner of the farm “Veldhuysen” near Wynberg. ~ (1) 29.12.1709 Barbara van Brakel; (2) 21.10.1714 Aletta van Wyk. 6 children (one son, Johannes Pieter, bapt. 28.6.1711 not mentioned in G.R.) (GMR 1708-10; CJ 1126:85; CJ 1132: 127; Rq. 1729-32: 25; Test. O.C. 3:70; Test. CJ 1072: 9; G.R. nr. 409.). Hereinafter cited as Personalia.
- [S325] Lorna Newcomb and Ockert Malan, compilers, Annale van Nederduits Gereformeerde Moedergemeente Stellenbosch No 1.., CD-ROM (Stellenbosch) Die Genootskap vir die Kerkversameling, 2004 0-9584832-1-3), Baptism Register. Hereinafter cited as Palmkronieke I Baptisms.
- [S629] Personal communications between Mansell Upham and Delia Robertson, 2010-present. 29 December 1709:
Jan Craay van Dresden
Barbara van Braakel van de Caap. jonged.
- [S700] VC 604, NGK Marriage Registers 1696-1712 (Cape Town), 1695-1712: D:o (29 December)
Jan Craaij van Dresden, met Barbara van
Braakel, van Caap de Goede Hoop, j: d:r
"Kerkboek 1695-1712," p. 106, 29 Dec 1709, marriage entry for Jan Craaij and Barbara van Braakel, transcribed by Corney Keller, (24 Mar 2012), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/. Hereinafter cited as NGK Marriage Registers 1696-1712 (Cape Town).
- [S204] Dr. J. Hoge, Personalia, CRAY, JOHANNES (S Cray and Craa).- Dresden. So. 1708-10, later burgher and owner of the farm "Veldhuysen" near Wynberg. (1) 29.12.1709 Barbara van Brakel; (2) 21.10.1714 Aletta van Wyk. 6 children (one son, Johannes Pieter, bapt. 28.6.1711 not mentioned in G.R.) (GMR 1708-10; CJ 1126: 85; CJ 1132: 127; Rq. 1729-32: 25; Test. O.C. 3: 70; Test. CJ 1072: 9; G.R. nr. 409.).
- [S734] VC 604, NGK Baptism Registers 1695-1712 (Cape Town), (1695-1712), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/, http://www.eggsa.org/. Hereinafter cited as NGK Baptism Registers 1695-1712 (Cape Town).
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms, Johannes Jacobus, d'Vader Jacob Coetser, d'Moeder Cornelia Helmes, getn' Joannes Craa, en Cornelia Helm, 24 May 1716.
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms, Magdalena, d'Vader Paùlùs Kèiser, d'Moeder Alletta Loùbben, getù Johannes Craa, en Alletta van Wyck: 11 May 1721.
- [S34] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, South African Genealogies 4 J-K (Pretoria: Human Sciences Research Council, 1992), p.442. Hereinafter cited as S.A. Genealogies 4 J-K.