|NGK (Cape Town) Baptisms 1665-1695||NGK (Cape Town) Baptisms 1665-1695|
|NGK (Cape Town) Marriages1695-1712||NGK (Cape Town) Marriages 1695-1712|
|NGK Stellenbosch Baptisms 1688-1732||NGK Stellenbosch Baptisms 1688-1732|
|BirthOrigin*||Evert was from Purmerent, Nederland, and was perhaps born there circa 1670. The date is estimated based on his date of marriage.1|
|Marriage*||He married Susanna Catharina van Ceylon on 10 August 1698 Nederduitsche Gereformeerde Kerk, (Cape Town), de Caep de Goede Hoop.2,3|
|Susanna Catharina van Ceylon b. c 1668|
|Baptisms - Witness||Evert Pieters and Susanna Catharina van Ceylon witnessed the baptism of Hans Hendrik Thomas on 4 May 1721 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Stellenbosch, de Caep de Goede Hoop.4|
|Crime and related||On 9 December 1705 (Cape Town) Evert Pieters was sentenced to be brought to the place of execution and stand under the gallows with a rope round his neck. He was then to be whipped on the bare back, branded and exiled for life to Mauritius. In November he had found 17 sheep belonging to Willem ten Damme roaming near Wynberg which he had rounded up and taken to his property. He immediately killed and salted five but was then discovered by Ten Damme's herder who he bribed, but who later reported the theft.5|
- [S700] VC 604, NGK Marriage Registers 1696-1712 (Cape Town), 1695-1712: "Kerkboek 1695-1712," p. 92, 10 Aug 1698, 10 Aug:
Evert Pieters van Purmerent jongm:
met Susanna Catharina van Ceylon, transcribed by Corney Keller, (24 Mar 2012), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/. Hereinafter cited as NGK Marriage Registers 1696-1712 (Cape Town).
- [S700] VC 604, NGK Marriage Registers 1696-1712 (Cape Town) transcribed by Corney Keller: "Kerkboek 1695-1712," p. 92, 10 Aug 1698, 10 Aug:
Evert Pieters van Purmerent jongm:
met Susanna Catharina van Ceylon, 24 Mar 2012, Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/
- [S325] Lorna Newcomb and Ockert Malan, compilers, Annale van Nederduits Gereformeerde Moedergemeente Stellenbosch No 1.., CD-ROM (Stellenbosch) Die Genootskap vir die Kerkversameling, 2004 0-9584832-1-3), Baptism Register, Lorna:
10.8.1698 trou "Evert Pieters van Purmerent jongm: met Susanna Catharina van Ceylon". Hereinafter cited as Palmkronieke I Baptisms.
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms, Hans Hendrik d'Vader Cornelis Tomesse [Heinrich Thomas from Husum], Moeder Willemina Pieterse, getù Evert Pietersz en Sùsanna Catrina 4e May 1721.
- [S872] Notes concerning Various, written by Mansell Upham, 2012-2016 (http://www.facebook.com/FirstFiftyYearsProject/) "Burgher Evert Pieterszen of Purmerend now a prisoner voluntarily confessed that (24 November 1705), he was in the reed veld to look after the reeds cut by him. When he returned in the evening he arrived in neighbourhood of the Wynberg at the river running there, where he saw 17 sheep without knowing whose they were, he drove them all to his hut and at once killed and salted down 5. The 6th was tied up likewise for slaughter when the herder of Adv. Willem ten Damme [from Oldenzeel] to whom they belonged arrived, thereupon the prisoner drove away the 11 others as he could not hide them. In order to hide his crime he shoved 3 skillings into the hands of the herder that the latter might not inform against him, but he did so however and told his master, prisoner was then apprehended.
Court sentences him to be brought to the place of execution and stand under the gallows with the rope round his neck, afterwards to be severely whipped on the bare back, and branded and for life exiled to Mauritius to find an honest living there. In the meantime he shall serve as convict in chains on Robben Island."
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms.
- [S734] VC 604, NGK Baptism Registers 1695-1712 (Cape Town), (1695-1712), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/, http://www.eggsa.org/. Hereinafter cited as NGK Baptism Registers 1695-1712 (Cape Town).