|NGK (Cape Town) Baptisms 1665-1695||NGK (Cape Town) Baptisms 1665-1695|
|Birth*||Maria Hansen van de Caep was born circa 1663 in de Caep de Goede Hoop.1|
|Marriage De facto*||Circa 1687 Maria Hansen van de Caep and Dirk Pretorius were in a de facto relationship de Caep de Goede Hoop.1|
|Dirk Pretorius b. c 1650|
|Duplicate?*||It is possible that Maria van de Caep and Maria Hansen van de Caep are the same individual.|
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||29 October 1688, the name of Maria was written in the record as Maria Hanssen.1|
27 April 1691, the name of Maria was written in the record as Margariet Hanze.2
1 August 1694, the name of Maria was written in the record as Maria Harmse.
|Baptisms - Witness||On 16 September 1663 (Cape Town), de Caep de Goede Hoop, Dom:e Petrus Cassier baptised 12 children, one of 'Netherland Christian' parents, the others were all children of company owned slaves. They were not named but Maria Hansen van de Caep were potentially among those baptised on this day.3,4|
- [S397] NGK G1 1/1, Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Bapt.), 1665-1695: [Ao. 1688]
Den 29 dito (October) is een kind gedoopt waar van vader Dirk Pretorius
en moeder Maria Hanssen de getuijge is Petro[N]elle
van Breda en is genaamt Sijbilla, transcribed by Richard Ball, Norfolk, England, (May 2006), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/. Hereinafter cited as Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Bapt.).
- [S397] NGK G1 1/1, Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Bapt.): 1691
Den 27 Dito (? April) een kindt gedoopt waer van vader is Dirk
Pretorius, ende moeder Margariet Hanze, als getuijges stondt Klaes Cornelisse, ende Maritie Douw[ ] is genaemt Joannes, 1665-1695, Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/
- [S654] Mansell Upham 'What can't be cured, must be endured … Cape of Good Hope - first marriages & baptisms (1652-1665)', First Fifty Years, Uprooted Lives - Unfurling the Cape of Good Hope's Earliest Colonial Inhabitants (1652-1713), (http://e-family.co.za/ffy/ui66.htm), January 2012.
- [S574] H.C.V. Leibbrandt Compiler, (Castle Street, Cape Town: W.A. Richards & Sons, 1901), p.72, In the meanwhile we dutifully held our religious service, and as the Rev. Petrus Cassier was quite himself again, he preached an edifying sermon, after which 12 children were baptized. Only one however was found to be of Netherland Christian parents, the rest were all of the female slaves of the Company, mostly illegitimate and born from time to time.. Hereinafter cited as Journal 1662-1670 - Zacharias Wagenaer.
- [S397] NGK G1 1/1, Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Bapt.): Ao 1694
dito (1 August:) een kind, de vaeder dirk Pretorius
moeder Maria Harmse, genaemt
Dirck, getuijgen Dina van Soetermeer, 1665-1695, Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/
- [S546] E-mails from Mansell Upham (e-mail address) to Delia Robertson, 11 Aug 2010 (Personal Library, Email Upham) "c5 Anna Elisabeth Pretorius baptised Cape 14 April 1697
14 April 1697 Gedoopt het kint van Dirck Pretorius en Maria Hansz onder getuijgen van Louis van Bengale en Marretie Pieters genaamt Anna Elisabeth
Note: Louis van Bengale was her neighbour.
married 1 April 1731
Christiaan van der Schelde (from Middelburg in Zeeland); died as koster van de kerk 24 March 1780."