M, #14126, b. circa 1650
|Birth*||Hans Niemand was born circa 1650.1,2|
|(Contractor) Arrival||Before 31 December 1687, Christoph Grünewaldt arrived at the Cape, as a soldier with the rank of corporal in service of the VOC from Königsberg. On 10 May 1690 he made an agreement with Hans Niemand, who was enroute to Patria with the return fleet, that Niemand could claim, from the paymaster in Holland, a total of f 364:8:9 from his earnings for an unstated individiual or purpose. The record refers to an earlier agreement dated the 31st (ultimo) December 1687, concluded at 't Casteel de Goede Hoop. This record has been misinterpreted to fix his arrival at the Cape in 1690. The record also begs the questions, was Hans Niemand a relation of Grünwaldt's future wife, Catharina Niemand ? My thanks to Gawie Groenewald for bringing this to my attention.3,4|
|Slave Transactions||On 26 May 1690 Kees van Madagascar was sold by Hans Niemand to Barent Burger, for Rds. 100.5|
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700 (Cape Town: Tafelberg, 1977), p.157.. Hereinafter cited as Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700.
- [S21] Date estimated by compiler, Delia Robertson and, unless there is corroborating information, should not be considered as anything more than a guide.
- [S869] Contracts, (folio) 140-141; CJ 2750, Court of Justice; Court of Justice, Western Cape Archives and Records Service, Roeland Street, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa, Een originele reeken[ing] geslooten in't Casteel de Goede Hoope en geteekend bij J:H: Blum, ultimo [31st] december 1687. My thanks to Gawie Groenewald for providing the transcript of this record.
- [S204] Dr. J. Hoge, Personalia of the Germans at the Cape, 1652-1806, Archives Year Book for South African History (Cape Town: Government Printer, Union of South Africa, 1946), GROENEWALD, CHRISTOPH (S Grünwald).-Konigsberg. Corp. 1690. Burgher and blacksmith 1691. ~ 11.11.1691 Catharina Niemand of Amsterdam. 3 sons. † 1721. (CJ 1122 under 28.4.1694; CJ 1129 : 28; CJ 1254, p, 145; G.R. nr. 147.). Hereinafter cited as Personalia.
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, p.157. 26.5.1690, pp. 508-509: Kees from Madagascar (16/17), sold by Hans Niemand to Barend Borchard for Rds. 100.