Clara Bok van der Caep
F, #5180, b. 1716, d. 19 May 1797
|Birth*||Clara Bok van der Caep was born in 1716.1|
|Marriage*||She married Johan Jurgen Fuchs on 4 February 1731.1|
|Marriage||She married Gideon Slabbert, son of Gideon Slabbert and Francina Carstens, on 1 August 1756.2,1|
|Death*||She died on 19 May 1797.1|
|(Beneficiary) Inventory||The estate of Christiaan Bok was inventoried between 26 August 1716 and 28 August 1716 Cabo de Goede Hoop with Geringer receiving one half, his widow Anna, one quarter, and the remaining quarter divided between Michiel, Catharine, Johanna, Christiaan and Clara. Maria Bok was not mentioned. Sixteen male slaves valued at ƒ4,800, and 3 female slaves valued at ƒ450 were included in the inventory, none of whom were identified.3 |
|Notes||The attached article by Margaret Cairns is essential reading for any descendant of Anna Groothenning.6|
- [S153] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, South African Genealogies 1 A-C, HSRC SA Genealogies (Pretoria: Institute for Historical Research, Division Genealogical Research, Pretoria, 1986, 1989), ISBN 0-620-23962-X, Page 314. Hereinafter cited as S.A. Genealogies 1.
- [S198] Margaret Cairns, "Geringer and Bok: a genealogical jigsaw", Familia (Geringer and Bok) 13, nr. 2 (1976): After twenty years of widowhood, at the age of forty on 1st Aujgust 1756, Clara married Gideon Slabber a youth of seventeen years, which seems difficult to believe. His baptism took place in the Cape Town Dutch Reformed Church on 5th April 1739, between Cornelia in 1736 and Pieter in 1741. All efforts to trace an alternative Gideon who might have been the bridegroom have failed so that the fact of this marriage with such great disparity of age must apparently be accepted. Searches in the registers of Cape Town, Stellenbosch and Swartland have failed also to reveal any baptisms for children of this couple and it is possible that there were none.. Hereinafter cited as "Geringer and Bok."
- [S332] Webpage tanap.net (http://databases.tanap.net/mooc/) (Original records held by Western Cape Archives and Records Service, Roeland Street, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa) "Reference no.: MOOC8/3.36
Aldus geinventariseert en getaxeert door ons onderget:e gecommitt:e Weesm:ren ter presentie van Hans Casper Gerringer en wed:e Anna Groot Heijningh aan Cabo de Goede Hoop den 26ste, 27 en 28 Augustus 1716."
- [S736] VC 605 (NGK G1-8/2), NGK Baptism Registers 1713-1742 (Cape Town), 2012: Den 14 dito Augustus 1740] Michiel. De vader is Andries Bester. De moeder Anna Bock. De getuigen sijn Christiaan Bock en Clara Bock., transcribed by Corney Keller, (1713-1742), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/. Hereinafter cited as NGK Baptism Registers 1713-1742 (Cape Town).
- [S153] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, S.A. Genealogies 1, pg. 251.
- [S198] Margaret Cairns, "Geringer and Bok", Volume 34, Number 3, 1976, Pages 27-37 and 40.