M, #3182, b. circa 1669, d. before 26 August 1716
|Birth*||Christiaan Bok was born circa 1669 in Wolfenbüttel, Germany.1,2|
|Marriage*||He married Anna Groothenning van Bengale on 5 February 1713 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, (Cape Town), de Caep de Goede Hoop.3,2|
|Marriage De facto|| Before 1702 Christiaan Bok and Anna Groothenning van Bengale were in a de facto relationship de Caep de Goede Hoop. . As a slave belonging to Bok's partner, Kaspar Geringer, Anna would likely have had no choice whether she wished to engage in any kind of relationship at all, with either Bok or Geringer. However, in time a relationship may have blossomed, for she had several more children with Bok and they were ultimately married after she was manumitted.4 |
|Death*||He died before 26 August 1716 de Caep de Goede Hoop.5|
|Inventory*||The estate of Christiaan Bok was inventoried between 26 August 1716 and 28 August 1716 Cabo de Goede Hoop. The inventory named Hans Kaspar Geringer, Anna Groothenning van Bengale, Michiel Bok van der Caep, Catharina Bok, Christiaan Bok and Clara Bok van der Caep as benefitting from the estate with Geringer receiving one half, his widow Anna, one quarter, and the remaining quarter divided between Michiel, Catharine, Johanna, Christiaan and Clara. Maria Bok was not mentioned. Sixteen male slaves valued at ƒ4,800, and 3 female slaves valued at ƒ450 were included in the inventory, none of whom were identified.6 |
|LiquidDist*|| On 24 September 1721 a liquidation and distribution account was prepared in the estate of Hans Kaspar Geringer, Christiaan Bok and Anna Groothenning van Bengale.7 |
|Notes||The attached article by Margaret Cairns is essential reading for any descendant of Anna Groothenning.4|
|Monsterrollen and Opgaafrollen (Muster and tax rolls)||On 23 January 1702 Christiaan Bok was enumerated in the muster roll Caabse distrik, He was enumerated after Andries Cuijper and before Gabriel Douwman and Elisabeth Adriaansz.11|
|Slave Transactions||In 1703 Anna Groothenning van Bengale may have come in to the possession of Hans Kaspar Geringer when Christian Weinoch sold all his property to Johann Lorenz. It may have been that for some reason Jan Lorenz did not want her back in his household because she was apparently already the concubine of Christiaan Bok, the partner of Geringer, having born Bok a child, Michiel, in early 1702.12|
|Property Transactions||In 1710 Christiaan Bok sold the property Christiaan in Cape Peninsula to Hans Kaspar Geringer, Velthuijsen.13|
- [S198] Margaret Cairns, "Geringer and Bok: a genealogical jigsaw", Familia (Geringer and Bok) 13, nr. 2 (1976): Aged forty-three [Geringer] and twenty seven [Bok] respectively they arrived at the Cape as soldiers in 1696 . . . [Citing CJ 2650 no. 6, 27.8.1709]. Hereinafter cited as "Geringer and Bok."
- [S153] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, South African Genealogies 1 A-C, HSRC SA Genealogies (Pretoria: Institute for Historical Research, Division Genealogical Research, Pretoria, 1986, 1989), ISBN 0-620-23962-X, Page 314. Hereinafter cited as S.A. Genealogies 1.
- [S702] Church Registers 1665-1695, VC 603.: D:o  [5 Februarij]
Christiaan Bok, van Wolffenbuttel, jongman, met
Anna Groothenning, van Bengaalen, staande tusschen haar
beijden [drie] kinderen, genaamt Michiel, Catharina, en Johanna Bok.
Page 1, VC 621, which is a photocopy of the original register, now housed in the Nederduits Gereformeerde Kerkargief, Noordwal-Wes, Stellenbosch, as G1-13/1, (1980), Cape Town Archives Repository, Private Bag X9025, Cape Town, South Africa, 021-4624050. Hereinafter cited as Church Registers 1665-1695, VC 603.
- [S198] Margaret Cairns, "Geringer and Bok", Volume 34, Number 3, 1976, Pages 27-37 and 40.
- [S198] Margaret Cairns, "Geringer and Bok", The exact date of his death has not been established. The inventory of his deceased estate was taken on the 27/28th August 1716 which points to death certainly not more than two months previously, probably even a lesser period if the usual procedure was adopted.
- [S332] Webpage tanap.net (http://databases.tanap.net/mooc/) (Original records held by Western Cape Archives and Records Service, Roeland Street, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa) "Reference no.: MOOC8/3.36
Aldus geinventariseert en getaxeert door ons onderget:e gecommitt:e Weesm:ren ter presentie van Hans Casper Gerringer en wed:e Anna Groot Heijningh aan Cabo de Goede Hoop den 26ste, 27 en 28 Augustus 1716."
- [S711] Liquidation and distribution account of the personal estate of Bok and Grootheijning Gerringer of de Caep de Goede Hoop, dated 24 September 1721 (eGSSA - MOOC 13/1/1 Boedelrekeninge 1709-1722, CD No. 1).
- [S198] Margaret Cairns, "Geringer and Bok", A firm mutual feeling developed between master and servant and in his first will executed a mere five months after the contract above, Geringer states that as he had 'no father mother or other relative alive' he appointed 'syne goeden vriend Christiaan Bok' as his sole and universal heir. [Citing: CJ. 2597, 9.6.1700.]
- [S713] Hans Caspar Geringer and Christian Bock will (29 January 1705), Will of Hans C Gerringer & Christian Bock 1705 CJ 2649 93: 17050129 GerringerHansC_BokChristiaan Will 39. CJ 2649 93, Cape Town Archives Repository, Private Bag X9025, Cape Town, South Africa, 021-4624050. Hereinafter cited as Geringer, Hans Caspar Will 1713.
- [S332] Webpage Tanap (http://databases.tanap.net/mooc/) (Original records held by Western Cape Archives and Records Service) "5 Resolutions of the Council of Policy
C.29, pp.73-74, 3 Jannuarij 1712
Door meergenoemde Heer Gesaghebber aan den Raad gecommuniceerd zijnde, dat de burgers Claas Maijboom, Christiaan Bok en Mighiel Radekes, als de drie principaalste bakkers hadden gesegt, niet genegen te zijn ofte van wil waren om het witte en tarwebrood, volgens het bij den Raad daartoe gestelde gewigt, voor dit loopende jaar te bakken."
- [S686] Monsterrol van de vrije luijden 1702 for de Caep de Goede Hoop (Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/), "Andries Cuijper
Gabriel Douwman & Elisabeth Adriaansz."
- [S198] Margaret Cairns, "Geringer and Bok."
- [S432] Robert C-H Shell compiler, Changing Hands, A calendar of bondage in southern Africa, 1550 to 1888, CD-ROM; ISBN 1-86918-063-1; (Cape Town: Ancestry24, September 2007), 1710: Transfer number - 816
DistrictArea: Cape Peninsula
PropertyType: Plaas en Hofstede (Farm)
BuyerName: Hans C
PurchasePriceComments: Normal Transaction
Payments: 2667 . Hereinafter cited as Changing Hands.
- [S331] Webpage Ball Family Records (www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk) "citing NGK Cape Town baptism registers, viz:
9 Church Registers - Cape Town Congregation, Cape Archives, originals in the Nederlands Gereformeerde Kerk Argief, Stellenbosch, VC 603, 604, 605, 621 - baptisms and marriages 1695+
baptisms, page 33, 1708 (VOC 604)
21.do. (8br) van Christiaan Bok en Anna van Bengaalen, de getuigen Harmen van der
Scheijf, en Maria Kool. Johanna."