F, #5178, b. before 27 December 1705, d. before 30 December 1779
|Father-Putative*||Darius van Bengale b. c 1677; putative relationship. There were two men known as Darius van Bengale. The first was Darius van Cochin who also appears in the record as Darius van Bengale, but who, by 1693 had been freed and was working for Guilliam Heems. The second was the slave purchased by Hans Casper Geringer from Maria Jansz Visser, the widow of Lambertus Simons Stam who, due to proximity, is the likely father of the girls Maria en Catryn.1|
|Mother*||Anna Groothenning van Bengale b. c 1676, d. a 1719|
|Step-father||Christiaan Bok1 b. c 1669, d. b 26 Aug 1716|
|Steven Gous b. c 1684|
- Stephanus Gous b. b 1 Sep 1720, d. b 1721
|(Child) BaptismPutative||Maria Groothenning was baptized on 27 December 1705 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, (Cape Town), de Caep de Goede Hoop.4,5 |
|(Beneficiary) Inventory||The estate of Christiaan Bok was inventoried between 26 August 1716 and 28 August 1716 Cabo de Goede Hoop with Geringer receiving one half, his widow Anna, one quarter, and the remaining quarter divided between Michiel, Catharine, Johanna, Christiaan and Clara. Maria Bok was not mentioned. Sixteen male slaves valued at ƒ4,800, and 3 female slaves valued at ƒ450 were included in the inventory, none of whom were identified.8 |
|Notes||The attached article by Margaret Cairns is essential reading for any descendant of Anna Groothenning.13|
- [S629] Personal communications between Mansell Upham and Delia Robertson, 2010-present. 27 Dec:  Twe Kinderen van Dare[s] van Bengale en Anna van Bengale onder getuijgen van Willem Fenning en Katrina de Vos Maria en Catryn.
- [S332] Webpage tanap.net (http://databases.tanap.net/mooc/) (Original records held by Western Cape Archives and Records Service, Roeland Street, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa) "Reference no.: MOOC8/3.36
26 Augustus 1716
Staat, inventaris en taxatie der goederen, naargelaten en met 'er dood ontruijmt bij wijlen den burger Christiaan Bock ten voordeelen van desselfs compagnion Hans Casper Gerringer voor de eene helfte, en desselfs naargelatene wed:e Anna Groot Heijningh voor een vierdepart mitsgaders d' ondertenoemene vijf sijne minderjarige kinderen voor 't laaste vierdepart als
Michiel Bok oud 14 jaaren
Christiaan 1 1/2 jaar en
Claara Bok oud ses
- [S153] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, South African Genealogies 1 A-C, HSRC SA Genealogies (Pretoria: Institute for Historical Research, Division Genealogical Research, Pretoria, 1986, 1989), ISBN 0-620-23962-X, Page 314. Hereinafter cited as S.A. Genealogies 1.
- [S502] Website Family Search (www.familysearch.org) "27 Dec:  Twe Kinderen van Dare[s] van Bengale en Anna van Bengale onder getuijgen van Willem Fenning en Katrina de Vos Maria en Catryn.
- [S629] Mansell Upham.
- [S733] VC 621, NGK Marriage Registers 1713-1756 (Cape Town) transcribed by Corney Keller:  6 Martii. Steeven Gauche, van Geneve, jongm: en Catharina Bok, van Cabo de Goede Hoop, jonge dogter., (1713-1756), Cape Town Archives Repository, Private Bag X9025, Cape Town, South Africa, 021-4624050. Hereinafter cited as NGK Marriage Registers 1713-1756 (Cape Town).
- [S331] Webpage Ball Family Records (www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk) "citing Cape Archives, MOOC 7/1/22, 45, 1767 Will of Catharina Bock, and filed 30 Dec 1779, http://www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk/gous/I078.html##I083."
- [S332] Webpage Tanap (http://databases.tanap.net/mooc/) (Original records held by Western Cape Archives and Records Service) "Reference no.: MOOC8/3.36
Aldus geinventariseert en getaxeert door ons onderget:e gecommitt:e Weesm:ren ter presentie van Hans Casper Gerringer en wed:e Anna Groot Heijningh aan Cabo de Goede Hoop den 26ste, 27 en 28 Augustus 1716."
- [S408] Drakenstein Heemkring, compilers, Drakenstein I Baptisms., CD-ROM (Paarl) Drakenstein Heemkring, 2006 , Baptism Register, 1721; Den 5de Jann; Andries, zoon van Andries Gaus en Janna Conterman, Getuijgen Pieter Gaus en Lena Bok. [Although the witness is named as Lena Bok in this record, I suspect she was perhaps Catharina Bok, the wife of Steven Gous, this child's uncle.]. Hereinafter cited as Drakenstein I Baptisms.
- [S502] Website Family Search (www.familysearch.org) " 23 do.: [Januarij.] Johannes. Thomas Isman, en Maria Bok. Steven Gauche, en Catharina Bok. [My thanks to Mansell Upham for pointing me to this baptism.]
- [S736] VC 605 (NGK G1-8/2), NGK Baptism Registers 1713-1742 (Cape Town), 2012: Ferbuarij 10  Andries, Andries Bester, Anna Bock, Steven Gouts, Katharina Bock., transcribed by Corney Keller, (1713-1742), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/. Hereinafter cited as NGK Baptism Registers 1713-1742 (Cape Town).
- [S153] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, S.A. Genealogies 1, pg. 245.
- [S198] Margaret Cairns, "Geringer and Bok: a genealogical jigsaw", Familia (Geringer and Bok) 13, nr. 2 (1976): Volume 34, Number 3, 1976, Pages 27-37 and 40.. Hereinafter cited as "Geringer and Bok."
- [S198] Margaret Cairns, "Geringer and Bok", On 27th August 1709, Abraham Poulé, the official of that time together with his clerk, grappled with this third will. Geringer aged fifty-six and Bok forty-one, first cancelled their previous testaments executed either singly or in partnership; the survivor was again to be sole heir with the usual provisions for Christian burial and payment of just debts. Anna and the children were all granted freedom and Michiel was recorded as 'Michiel Geringer' for the first and only time. (Citing: CJ. 2650 no. 6, 27.8.1709).