Darius van Bengale1
M, #13713, b. circa 1677
|BirthOrigin*||Darius was from the Bengal and was perhaps born there circa 1677. Van Bengale - or from Bengal - was a term loosely applied during the period of VOC dominance to enslaved or formerly enslaved people from any of the countries bordering the Bay of Bengal. He was said to be 20 years old 1697.2,3|
|Concubine*|| Between 1703 and 1705 Darius van Bengale was the concubine of Anna Groothenning van Bengale de Caep de Goede Hoop.4|
|Anna Groothenning van Bengale b. c 1676, d. a 1719|
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||27 December 1705, the name of Darius was written in the record as Dares van Bengale.5|
|Slave Transactions||Darius van Bengale was sold by Arnoldo Muijkens, to Hans Hendrik Smith on 6 July 1697 de Caep de Goede Hoop. It is likely Darius van Bengale and Catharina of the Coast accompanied Muijkens from Bengal to the Cape. Darius was sold, and Catharina manumitted on 21 June 1697.3,6|
On 1 August 1701 Darius van Bengale was sold by Maria Jansz Visser to Hans Kaspar Geringer de Caep de Goede Hoop.7
- [S432] Robert C-H Shell compiler, Changing Hands, A calendar of bondage in southern Africa, 1550 to 1888, CD-ROM; ISBN 1-86918-063-1; (Cape Town: Ancestry24, September 2007). Hereinafter cited as Changing Hands.
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700 (Cape Town: Tafelberg, 1977), 6.7.1697, p.240 (verso): Darius from Bengal (20), sold by Arnoldus Muykens to Hendrik Smit for Rds. 80.. Hereinafter cited as Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700.
- [S425] Index to Slave Transactions at the Cape, South Africa, 1658 - 1731, compiled by Robert C-H Shell, Cape Town, 2000 "1697.07.08, Darius, m, Bengal, 20, Arnoldus Muykens, Hans H Smit, 80.00, TN&S."
- [S629] Personal communications between Mansell Upham and Delia Robertson, 2010-present. My thanks to Mansell Upham for sharing this transcript from the register for slaves belonging to free-burghers:
27 Dec:  Twe Kinderen van Dare/[s/] van Bengale en Anna van Bengale onder getuijgen van Willem Fenning en Katrina de Vos Maria en Catryn.
- [S629] Mansell Upham.
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, 6.7.1697, p.233 (verso): Darius from Bengal (20), sold by Arnoldus Muykens to Hendrik Smit for Rds. 80.
- [S432] Robert C-H Shell compiler, Changing Hands, Sequence IDNO: 1823
Slaves First Name: Darius
Presumed Place Of Origin: van Bengal
Day Of Sale: 1
Month Of Sale: 8
Year Of Sale: 1701
Sellers Last Name: Sijmond [Widow]
Sellers First Name: Maria Jans
Buyers Last Name: Geringer
Buyers First Name: Hans Ca
Buyers Civil Status: burgher
Buyers Gender: Male
Buyers Domicile: Table valley
Buyers Occupation: baker
Primary Reference: Transporten en Scheepeniskennis.