M, #13714, b. circa 1640
|Birth*||Arnoldo Muijkens was born circa 1640.2,1|
|Marriage*||He married Adriana Muyhens before 1697.3|
|Adriana Muyhens b. c 1640|
|Occupation*||On 2 June 1697 Arnoldo Muijkens was the trade director in Bengal.4,5|
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||Between 1 July 1697 and 2 July 1697, the name of Arnoldo was written in the record as Bernadus Muykens, I have assumed this to be Arnoldus Muykens, corrections welcome.6|
|Slave Transactions||On 3 June 1697 Constantia van Java was sold by Gerrit van Loos to Arnoldo Muijkens, for Rds. 80.4|
On 3 June 1697 Balo Origin Unknown was sold on behalf of Alexander Hendricksz: by Arnoldo Muijkens to Gerrit Victor, for Rds. 40.7
Between 1 July 1697 and 2 July 1697 Coridon van Macassar was sold by Arnoldo Muijkens to Henningh Hùijsing, for Rds. 60.6
Darius van Bengale was sold by Arnoldo Muijkens, to Hans Hendrik Smith on 6 July 1697 de Caep de Goede Hoop. It is likely Darius van Bengale and Catharina of the Coast accompanied Muijkens from Bengal to the Cape. Darius was sold, and Catharina manumitted on 21 June 1697.8,9
|Slave Emancipations||On 21 June 1697 Catharina van de Kust Coromandel was emancipated by Arnoldo Muijkens, in recognition of her faithful service.10|
- [S332] Webpage tanap.net (http://databases.tanap.net/mooc/) (Original records held by Western Cape Archives and Records Service, Roeland Street, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa) "Notes: Arnoldus muijkens was van 1687 tot 1695 direkteur van Bengale. Toe hy bevorder is tot Goewerneur van Ceylon het hy gevra om "van het Ceylonsche Gouvernement verschoond te mogen blijven". Goewerneur-generaal en Rade van Batavia het dit beskou as 'n "refus van 's Compagnies dienst" en gevolglik is hy "buyten qualiteit en gagie" na Patria gestuur."
- [S21] Date estimated by compiler, Delia Robertson and, unless there is corroborating information, should not be considered as anything more than a guide.
- [S734] VC 604, NGK Baptism Registers 1695-1712 (Cape Town): Den 26 Maij 1697. gedoopt het kint van Arnoldus Muijkens en Adriana Muyhens, (1695-1712), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/, http://www.eggsa.org/. Hereinafter cited as NGK Baptism Registers 1695-1712 (Cape Town).
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700 (Cape Town: Tafelberg, 1977), p. 176. 3.6.1697, p. 174: Constantia from Java (-), sold by Gerrit van Loos to Arnoldus Muykens, "Directeur" of Bengal, for Rds. 80.. Hereinafter cited as Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700.
- [S657] Mansell Upham 'Hell and Paradise... Hope on Constantia / De Hel en Het Paradijs... De Hoop op Constantia: Jan Grof (died ante 1700) and his extended family at the Cape of Good Hope', First Fifty Years, Uprooted Lives - Unfurling the Cape of Good Hope's Earliest Colonial Inhabitants (1652-1713), (http://e-family.co.za/ffy/ui66.htm), February 2012. "p.5. Arnoldus Muijkens, VOC trade director in Bengal..."
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, p. 180. ...7.1697, p. 237: Coridon from Macassar, sold by Bernardus Muykens on the Spiegel, to Henning Hüsing for Rds. 60.
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, p. 177. 3.6.1697, p. 176: Balo (23), sold by Arnoldus Muykens on behalf of Alexander Hendricksz to Gerrit Victor for Rds. 40.
- [S425] Index to Slave Transactions at the Cape, South Africa, 1658 - 1731, compiled by Robert C-H Shell, Cape Town, 2000 "1697.07.08, Darius, m, Bengal, 20, Arnoldus Muykens, Hans H Smit, 80.00, TN&S."
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, 6.7.1697, p.233 (verso): Darius from Bengal (20), sold by Arnoldus Muykens to Hendrik Smit for Rds. 80.
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, p. 178. 2L6.1697, p. 211 (verso): Cathadna from the Coast given her freedom by
Arnoldus Muykens in recognition of her faithful service.
- [S734] VC 604, NGK Baptism Registers 1695-1712 (Cape Town): Den 26 Maij 1697. gedoopt het kint van Arnoldus Muijkens en Adriana Muyhens onder getuygen van de ed: heer goeverneur Simon v: Stel en mejuff:r Agatha Six genaemt - Arnoldus, 1695-1712, Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/