M, #6962, b. circa 1652
|NGK (Cape Town) Baptisms 1665-1695||NGK (Cape Town) Baptisms 1665-1695|
|NGK (Cape Town) Marriages1665-1695||NGK (Cape Town) Marriages 1665-1695|
|NGK Stellenbosch Baptisms 1688-1732||NGK Stellenbosch Baptisms 1688-1732|
|Birth*||Henningh Hùijsing was born circa 1652.2|
|Marriage*||He married Maria Lindenhovius, daughter of Reverend Adam Lindenhovius and Anna Kemenerus, on 2 January 1684 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, (Cape Town), de Caep de Goede Hoop.3,4|
|NameRecord||The name of Henningh Hùijsing was written in the record as Henning Hüsing.|
|NameRecord||The name of Henningh Hùijsing was written in the record as Henning Huysing.|
|(Witness) Baptism||He witnessed the baptism of Henning Villion on 8 March 1682 (Cape Town).5,6|
|NameRecord||The name of Henningh Hùijsing was written in the record as Henning Huisen 8 March 1682.|
|(Witness) Baptism||He and Hester Weiers witnessed the baptism of Willem Elberts on 11 April 1683 (Cape Town).7|
|NameRecord||The name of Henningh Hùijsing was written in the record as Henningh Huisingh 11 April 1683.7|
|Burgher*||He became a burgher on 2 January 1684, in Dutch vryburgher or vrijburgher, a status in which a soldier or other employee of the VOC was released from their contractual obligations to the VOC and permitted to farm, become a tradesman, or work for others.3|
|(Witness) Baptism||He and Fintie Cloete witnessed the baptism of Joghem Greef on 14 April 1695 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Stellenbosch, de Caep de Goede Hoop.1,8|
|(Witness) Baptism||He and Christina Diemer witnessed the baptism of Hendrik Wessels on 19 June 1695 (Cape Town).9|
|(Official) SlaveEmancipation||Henningh Hùijsing approved the emancipation of a slave, Susanna van Mombasa from the deceased estate of Anthoniij van Angola on 22 October 1696 de Caep de Goede Hoop, In the emancipation record, Anthonij is described as Susanna's husband. They could not have been legally married because Susanna was a slave, but the relationship appears to have clearly been a defacto marriage. Although Anthonij was already deceased at the time, he had prior to his death promised Susanna she and her children would be freed and this was carried out by the authorities because of the testimony of Grimp and Van der Bijl.10,11,12|
|(Witness) Baptism||He and Helena Gulix witnessed the baptism of Joan Tas on 11 May 1704 Stellenbosch.13|
- [S325] Lorna Newcomb and Ockert Malan, compilers, Annale van Nederduits Gereformeerde Moedergemeente Stellenbosch No 1.., CD-ROM (Stellenbosch) Die Genootskap vir die Kerkversameling, 2004 0-9584832-1-3), Baptism Register, Joghem zoon van Matijs Greef de moeder Zùsanna Klaas is gedoopt de 14 April 1695 als gethùijge Henningh Hùijsing Fintie Cloeten.. Hereinafter cited as Palmkronieke I Baptisms.
- [S21] Date estimated by compiler, Delia Robertson and, unless there is corroborating information, should not be considered as anything more than a guide.
- [S392] NGK G1 1/1, Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Mar), 1665-1695: ao' 1684
Moris[s'] Henninghuisen jonghman vrymaet en Marai Lindenhovius weduwe van Jan Hampen, transcribed by Richard Ball, Norfolk, England, (May 2006), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/. Hereinafter cited as Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Mar).
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms, Lorna:
Henning Huysing,soldaat, was reeds in die Kaap in 1672; word burger in 1678. 2.1.1684 trou "Mons Henningh Huisen jonghman en vryman en Maria Lindenhovius weduwe van Jan Hampen." Sy was die tante van Adam Tas. Henning boer op Meerlust en Welmoed en was o.a Heemraad van Stellenbosch en burgerraadslid. Sy vrou, die eertydse diensmeise van Simon vn der Stel, was van Overijst. Henning en Maria het geen kinders gehad nie. Hy het een van die rykste boere aan die Kaap geword in die vroeë ontwikkelingsjare en was een van die leiers in die verset teen Willem Adriaan van der Stel.
- [S397] NGK G1 1/1, Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Bapt.), 1665-1695: Den 8 [M] (water splash); Heiningh; Francois Vilion en Cornelia Kempenaers; Henningh Huisen en Dirck Claesz schipper van de compan[...], transcribed by Richard Ball, Norfolk, England, (May 2006), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/. Hereinafter cited as Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Bapt.).
- [S191] C.C. de Villiers & C. Pama, Geslagregisters van ou Kaapse Families III S-Z (Cape Town / Amsterdam: A.A. Balkema, 1966), P. 1024. Hereinafter cited as Geslagregisters van ou Kaapse Families III S-K.
- [S397] NGK G1 1/1, Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Bapt.): Ad' 1683
den 11 April Willem
Hendrik Elberts en Aeltie ter Meulen
Hester Wieirs van Lier en Henningh Huisingh, 1665-1695, Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/
- [S397] NGK G1 1/1, Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Bapt.): ao 1695
Nota den 25 April 1695 gedoopt het kint van Matthys Greef genaemt Jochim als getuyge Henning Huysen en [.....] Appels, 1665-1695, Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/
- [S397] NGK G1 1/1, Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Bapt.): 19 dito [Junii 1695] een kind van Jan Wesseslse en Helena; Wijnands, gent: Hendrik, getuijgen; Henning Huijsingh en Christina Diemers, 1665-1695, Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700 (Cape Town: Tafelberg, 1977), p. 174. Hereinafter cited as Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700.
- [S432] Robert C-H Shell compiler, Changing Hands, A calendar of bondage in southern Africa, 1550 to 1888, CD-ROM; ISBN 1-86918-063-1; (Cape Town: Ancestry24, September 2007), Susanna [Testamentary manumission by Anthonij van Angola.]. Hereinafter cited as Changing Hands.
- [S521] Margaret Cairns, "Gerrit Gerrits of Oldenburg and Susanna of Bambaser: An early 18th century couple", Familia (Gerrits & Bambaser) 17, nr. 3/4 (1990): However it seems obvious that she had been at the Cape for a few years before 1696 for this document is in fact her emancipation from slavery, and it provides details of her life that would otherwise have remained hidden. It is a fascinating document and far more than the stereotyped freedom papers usually to be found, for Hugo de Goyer, the secretary or the Council of Policy which normally handles such matters, added that six weeks before his death, her late master Anthony of Angola had told her "synde geweest de lyfeigen van Anthony van Angola", that he intended to free her from slavery. This freedom was to include that of her child, fathered by another man, and her unborn child by Anthony himself. Unfortunately Anthony died before he could carry out his promise and his posthumous son was therefore born a slave. However, the matter of the proposed emancipation had apparently been common knowledge and two well-known burgers of Stellenbosch where Anthony lived, Hans Jurgen Grimpe and Pieter van der Bijl came to the aid of Susanna and the deposition that they made to this effect bore sufficient weight for the authorities to grant the requested freedom forthwith.. Hereinafter cited as "Gerrits & Bambaser."
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms, Joan, soon van Adam Tas, en Elisabeth van Brakel, getùygen Henning Hùsing en Helena Gùlik, huysvrouw van Willem ten Damme, den 11e Meij 1704.