M, #5230, b. circa 1678
|Charts||Descendants of Lijsbeth Sanders|
|NGK (Cape Town) Baptisms 1665-1695||NGK (Cape Town) Baptisms 1665-1695|
|NGK (Cape Town) Marriages1665-1695||NGK (Cape Town) Marriages 1665-1695|
|Birth*||Johannes Hoffman was born circa 1678.1|
|Marriage*||He married Maria Louisz, daughter of Louis van Bengale and Lijsbeth Sanders, on 9 August 1711 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, (Cape Town), de Caep de Goede Hoop.2,3,4|
|Maria Louisz b. 10 Feb 1686|
|Arrival*||Before 1698, Johannes Hoffman arrived at the Cape from Langeberg, Germany.5,4|
|Vrijbriewen and Burgher Status||Johannes Hoffman became a burgher in 1698, in Dutch vryburgher or vrijburgher, initially a status in which a soldier or other employee of the VOC was released from their contractual obligations to the VOC and permitted to farm, become a tradesman, or work for others. Subsequently some individuals, including the Huguenot refugees, were brought to the Cape specifically to farm and were burghers from the time of their arrival Paarl, Cape Colony.4|
- [S21] Date estimated by compiler, Delia Robertson and, unless there is corroborating information, should not be considered as anything more than a guide.
- [S502] Website Family Search (www.familysearch.org) " Do. [9 Aùgùsti] Jan Hofman van den Berg, Jongm: met Maria Loùisz van de Caap.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/…, last accessed 24 May 2012."
- [S326] J.L. (Leon) Hattingh, "Die Blanke Nageslag van Louis van Bengale en Lijsbeth van die Kaap", Kronos (Die Blanke nageslag . . .) 1 (1979): x 9.8.1711 Johannes Hoffman(n) van Langenberg, burger Paarl 1698.. Hereinafter cited as "Die Blanke nageslag."
- [S152] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, South African Genealogies 3 H-I (Pretoria: Human Sciences Research Council, 1992), Page 425. Hereinafter cited as S.A. Genealogies 3 H-I.
- [S204] Dr. J. Hoge, Personalia of the Germans at the Cape, 1652-1806, Archives Year Book for South African History (Cape Town: Government Printer, Union of South Africa, 1946), HOFFMANN, JOHANNES.-Langenberg. Burgher at Paarl (1698). ~9.8.1711 Maria Louisz of the C. 3 daughters: Anna (10.5.1705), Catharina (1.5.1707) ~(1) Fredrik Huppenaar, son of Peter Hübner (q.v.); (2) Fredrik Scheepers (G.R., III, p. 224); (3) Willem Landman (G.R. nr. 519), Elsje (16.11.1710) ~ Jan du Buis (G.R., I, p. 127). (CJ 726: 10; MOOC 14/26 nr. 14.). Hereinafter cited as Personalia.