F, #6741, b. circa August 1696, d. 27 October 1778
|Duplicate?*||It is possible that Magdalena van de Caep and Johanna Kemp are the same individual. Johanna Kemp's stated age at death indicates a birth date in August 1696 - and the baptism for Magdalena fits the profile for Johanna. In addition, the mother in the baptism immediately succeeding that of Magdalena is also named Magdalena, creating the environment for a potential scribal error.8 |
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||1 May 1718, the name of Johanna was written in the record as Jannetje Kemp.7|
|Notes||Johanna Kemp and Jacob Kruger are featured in the attached article by Barry Kruger which first appeared in Familia.9 See: Article by Barry Kruger|
- [S631] Liquidation and distribution account of the personal estate of Cicilia Swerisse of de Caep de Goede Hoop, dated 13 December 1713 (eGSSA - MOOC 13/1/1 Boedelrekeninge 1709-1722, CD no. 1) "...en haar minderjarige Dogter Johanna Kemp, Geprocreeert by N: Kemp, ..."
- [S631] Inventory of the estate of Cicilia Swerisse, 13 December 1713 "... haar minderjarige dogter Johanna Kemp, geprocreeert bij N: Kemp ..."
- [S34] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, South African Genealogies 4 J-K (Pretoria: Human Sciences Research Council, 1992), p 236. Hereinafter cited as S.A. Genealogies 4 J-K.
- [S631] Inventory of the estate of Cicilia Swerisse, 13 December 1713 "... haar minderjarige dogter Johanna Kemp, geprocreeert bij N: [Nicolaas?] Kemp ..."
- [S668] Dr. E.E. Mossop, Lives of the earlier Krugers told in a revised genealogical table, Archives Year Book for South African History (Cape Town: Government Printer, Union of South Africa, 1947), My thanks to Barry Kruger for this extract.
JOHANNA KEMP, stam moeder, d. 27.10.1778 and was buried 30.10.1778. This information was sent by Pieter Ernst Kruger (b)7 in a letter to his nephews, nieces and his nephew-in-law Daniel Coenraad Braune written from either Orangefontein or Zoute Kloof on 22.11.1778. (MOOC 14/50) He, at the time he wrote this letter, believed that his brother Johannes Kruger (b)4 had recently died. He states "Ik hebbe verstaan dat broeder jan Kruger ook doot soude weesen maar nog geen schryvinge daar van gehat.? Two original signatures of Jacobus Kruger(b)1, eldest son of the stamvader, dated 17.2.1777 are also contained in MOOC 14/50. They are receipts for monies received some twenty months before his death. The stam moeder died aged 82 years and two months; it would appear therefore that she was born in August 1696. Her original signature, made 28.10.1720, is in CJ 2600. No. 67 Cape Archives.. Hereinafter cited as Lives of the earlier Krugers.
- [S34] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, S.A. Genealogies 4 J-K, p 482.
- [S558] NGK Marriage Records Cape Town: 1718; 1 Maji.; Jacob Crùger van Berlijn, Jongm. En Jannetje Kemp van Cabo de Goede Hoop, Jonge dogter. (Cape Town), (1700-1750), UNISA Library, Pretoria. Hereinafter cited as NGK Marriage Records Cape Town.
- [S665] Mansell Upham 'Johanna Kemp - An enquiry into the ancestry of the Cape-born Johanna Kemp (c. 1689-1778) - wife of Jacob Krüger (from Sadenbeck)', First Fifty Years, Uprooted Lives - Unfurling the Cape of Good Hope's Earliest Colonial Inhabitants (1652-1713), (This article is under review), March 2012. "Magdalena [error for Johanna?] casties baptized Cape 23 September 1696."
- [S638] Barry Kruger, "Jacob Kruger - Corrections regarding this Progenitor", (2004). Hereinafter cited as "Jacob Kruger - Corrections regarding this Progenitor."
- [S34] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, S.A. Genealogies 4 J-K, p. 435.
- [S34] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, S.A. Genealogies 4 J-K, p.482-483.
- [S665] Mansell Upham 'Johanna Kemp', Uprooted Lives - Unfurling the Cape of Good Hope's Earliest Colonial Inhabitants (1652-1713), "baptized 26 January 1721."
- [S502] Website Family Search (www.familysearch.org) "19 do [Xbr 1723] Elizabeth. Jacob Krùger, en Johanna Kemp. De Ouders. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-267-11116-195318-8."
- [S34] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, S.A. Genealogies 4 J-K, p. 482.
- [S502] Website Family Search (www.familysearch.org) "1726. Pieter Ernst, d'Vader Jacob Kreùger, d'Moeder Johanna Kemp, getù Ernst Mostert, en Sophia Cloeten: 18e Aùgty.; https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/…."
- [S502] Website Family Search (www.familysearch.org) "Catharina, d'Vader Jacob Krùgel, de Moedr Johanna Kemp, getù Hans Hendrik Niemzoe, en Catharina Krùgel: 1st Aùgs. https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/…."