|NGK Stellenbosch Baptisms 1688-1732||NGK Stellenbosch Baptisms 1688-1732|
|Birth*||Abraham Bastiaanz Pijl was born circa 1665.1,2|
|Marriage*||He married Cornelia Cornelisse, daughter of Cornelis Claasz and Catharina van Malabar, before 1690.2|
|Death*||He died between 4 October 1703 and 14 October 1703 de Caep de Goede Hoop, suicide.3,1,4|
|Cornelia Cornelisse b. 18 Nov 1674|
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||2 February 1690, the name of Abraham was written in the record as Abraham Pijl.5|
27 May 1691, the name of Abraham was written in the record as Abraham Bastiaans.
16 November 1692, the name of Abraham was written in the record as Abram Bastijaans.6
8 January 1696, the name of Abraham was written in the record as Abram Bastiaans Pyl.7
18 October 1699, the name of Abraham was written in the record as Aberam Pijel.8
- [S325] Lorna Newcomb and Ockert Malan, compilers, Annale van Nederduits Gereformeerde Moedergemeente Stellenbosch No 1.., CD-ROM (Stellenbosch) Die Genootskap vir die Kerkversameling, 2004 0-9584832-1-3), Baptism Register, Lorna:
Sien D&P p.744 en SAG 8 Pi-Q p.516. Hy was 'n wamaker van beroep en het die plaas Groenrivier besit. Hy is reeds vanaf 1685 op Stellenbosch (monsterrolle). Hy pleeg selfmoord 29.9.1703 omdat, soos hy dit gestel het, sy vrou hom daartoe gedryf het. Sy jongste seun is op 14.10.1703 gedoop - twee weke na sy vader se dood.. Hereinafter cited as Palmkronieke I Baptisms.
- [S21] Date estimated by compiler, Delia Robertson and, unless there is corroborating information, should not be considered as anything more than a guide.
- [S595] Mansell Upham, "Kees de Boer - Cornelis CLAES / CLAESSEN / CLAESZ / CLASSEN from Utrecht" (Article - electronic, October 2000), On Friday evening of 28 September 1703 Catrijn's son-in-law Abraham Bastiaansz Pyl (married to her daughter Cornelia), was brought soaking wet into the house of the free black Jan Luij van Ceylon by the latter's children who had rescued him out of the Eerste River. Pyl who was made to sit and dry himself that evening before the fire on the understanding that he would spend the night there. Later that night the family was rudely awakened by gurgling and screams. They found Pyl lying facewards on the ground with his throat slit by a knife. The landdrost Pieter Robberts and two heemraden Dirk Coetse and Guilliam du Toit were duly called. On their arrival they found Pyl still alive. His throat had been cut through zoodanig dat de longe-pijp geheel afgesneden was. On asking Pyl what had happened, he had indicated that the wound had been self-inflicted. But after the surgeon Jean Prieur du Plessis had dressed the wound, Pyl could be more clearly heard to confirm two or three times that he had indeed slit his own throat. When asked Why?, he answered simply, and without any further explanation: …Mijn vrouw is er de oorsaak van… . . . succumbed a few days after 4 October 1703. [DR: A statement abou the incident was made on 4 October when he was not yet deceased, but he died before the baptism of his son on the 14th.]. Hereinafter cited as "Kees de Boer."
- [S331] Webpage Ball Family Records (www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk) "On the evening of Friday 28th September he was pulled from the river by the children of Jan van Zijlen and taken to their house and put before the fire to dry and given a bed for the night. About midnight Jan van Zijlen was woken by screams and found Pijl out of his bed with his throat cut and a bloody knife by him.
On the next day came the Landdrost Pieter Robbertsz, and the heemraden Dirk Coetse and Gulliam du Toit, accompanied by the surgeon Jean du Plessi, where they found Abraham Pijl still alive. He told them by gestures and words that he himself was responsible and that his wife was the cause, but gave no further explanation. (1 STB 18/154, 4th October 1703, pages 183-186)."
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms, [Bas?]tiaan, soon van Abraham Pijl de moeder Cornelia Cornelis is gedoopt den 2 Febr 1690 als getùijge Jan Wismar met sijn vroùw.
Marija dogter van Abraham Pijl de moeder Cornelia Cornelis is gedoopt den 9 Auge 1697 getùijge Catrina Wesmer.
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms, Catrina dogter van Abram Bastijaans de moeder Cornelia Cornelisz is gedoopt dr 16 Novembr 1692 als getùijge Pietter Gerrits met zijn vroùw.
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms, Joannes zoon van Abram Bastiaans Pyl de moeder Cornelia Cornelis is gedoopt dj 8 Janùarij 1696 als getùijge Pietter Gerrits Boshoùwer en Elsie Speldenbergh.
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms, Lijsebet dochter van Aberam Pijel de moeder Cornelia Cornelijs de getùijge Henderck Ijansen Enaltijn Cornelijs ijs gedoop den 18 October 1699.
- [S331] Webpage Ball Family Records (www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk) "http://www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk/robberts/I046.html."
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms, Hendrik, soon van Cornelia Cornelis, getùyge Gerret Willems, en Catharina Wismar, den 14 Octob 1703.