|(Fleet) ShipVoyage||On 4 December 1656 the Amersfoort, Wapen van Amsterdam, Dordrecht, Wapen van Holland, Westfriesland and Prins Willem, ships of the return fleet, left Batavia enroute to the Cape Catharina van Paliacatta, while the Prins Willem brought the slaves Angela van Bengale, Elisabeth van Bengale, Jan van Bengale, Claes van Bengale and Anna van Bengalen.2|
|ShipVoyage*||On 25 January 1658 the Prins Willem departed Wielingen enroute to de Caep de Goede Hoop where they docked on 17 June 1658. Among those on board were Hester Weijers, Jan Jansz: de Beer, Anthony Terrouw and Joost Pietersz: Moen.3,4,5|
- [S654] Mansell Upham 'What can't be cured, must be endured … Cape of Good Hope - first marriages & baptisms (1652-1665)', First Fifty Years, Uprooted Lives - Unfurling the Cape of Good Hope's Earliest Colonial Inhabitants (1652-1713), (http://e-family.co.za/ffy/ui66.htm), January 2012.
- [S815] Mansell G. Upham 'Documented Slave Arrivals at the Cape of Good Hope (1652-1677)', First Fifty Years, Uprooted Lives - Unfurling the Cape of Good Hope's Earliest Colonial Inhabitants (1652-1713), (Unpublished), 16 November 2014. "21 February 1657: Return Fleet ex Batavia arrives:
Prins Willem brings exiled convict (Company slave)
Catharina (Groote Catrijn) van Paliacatta [Pulicat]
Amersfoort brings 5 private slaves
Angela / Engela (Maaij Ansela / Moeder Jagt) van Bengale [sold to Jan van Riebeeck]
Elisabeth (Lijsbeth) van Bengale [misrecorded as Domingo [sic] - sold to Jan van Riebeeck]
Jan van Bengale [sold to Jan Vetteman]
Claes van Bengale [sold to Jochum Cornelisz: Blancq (from Lübeck)]
Anna van Bengale [sold to Jochum Cornelisz: Blancq (from Lübeck)]."
- [S795] Website The Dutch East India Company's shipping between the Netherlands and Asia 1595-1795 (http://resources.huygens.knaw.nl/das/search) "Number 0885.4
Name of ship PRINS WILLEM
Type of ship
Date of departure 25-01-1658
Place of departure Wielingen
Arrival at Cape 17-06-1658
Departure from Cape 05-07-1658
Date of arrival at destination 12-09-1658
Place of arrival Batavia
Particulars Via S. Vincente: one man deserted there."
- [S654] Mansell Upham 'UL01 What can't be cured, must be endured …', Uprooted Lives - Unfurling the Cape of Good Hope's Earliest Colonial Inhabitants (1652-1713), "17 June 1658: Prins Willem brings: Hester Weyers: van Lier, Mrs Bastincq wife accompanying husband - chief merchant Willem Bastincq."
- [S647] Precis of the archives of the Cape of Good Hope, Letters Despatched 1652-1662 to which are added land grants, attestations, Journal of voyage to Tristan da Cunha, names of freemen, &c. Vol III, H.C.V. Leibrandt; (Cape Town, South Africa: W.A. Richards & Sons, Government Printers, 1900), p.309. Jan Jansz: de Beer, of Maestricht, trumpeter, arrived in the Prins Willem in 1658.
Anthony Terron, of Antwerp, soldier, arrived in the Prins Willem in 1658.. Hereinafter cited as Precis of the archives of the Cape of Good Hope.