M, #14341, b. circa 1655
|NGK (Cape Town) Marriages1695-1712||NGK (Cape Town) Marriages 1695-1712|
|BirthOrigin*||Abraham was from China and may have been born there circa 1655. The date is estimated. It is possible, but in my view very unlikely, that he was the Chinese political exile included in the list of Macassarese royalty of 1686. He appears not to have used the name Abraham until he was baptised as an adult in 1702.2,3|
|Baptism||Abraham Veij was baptized on 19 February 1702 Nederduitsche Gereformeerde Kerk, (Cape Town), de Caep de Goede Hoop.4,5|
|Marriage*||He married Maria van Batavia on 16 April 1702 (Cape Town).6,7|
|Maria van Batavia b. c 1665|
|(Witness) BirthOrigin||Abraham was described as Chinese and may therefor have been born China circa 1666. The date is estimated. I believe him not to be the same individual as Abraham Veij, who seems only to have started using the name Abraham after his baptism in 1702.3|
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||An unknown date , the name of Abraham was written in the record as Thin Heenko.8|
An unknown date , the name of Abraham was written in the record as Abraham de Veij.8
Abraham Veij was also known as Abraham de Vijf.8
An unknown date , the name of Abraham was written in the record as Neniko.8
An unknown date , the name of Abraham was written in the record as Liniquo.8
19 February 1702, the name of Abraham was written in the record as Lim Inko.8,5
|Baptisms - Witness||Abraham Veij and Maria van Batavia witnessed the baptism of Daniel Jacobsz van de Caep on 12 July 1705 Nederduitsche Gereformeerde Kerk, (Cape Town).9|
- [S700] VC 604, NGK Marriage Registers 1696-1712 (Cape Town), 1695-1712: "Kerkboek 1695-1712," p. 97, 16 Apr 1702, marriage entry for Abraham Veij and Maria Jacobs, transcribed by Corney Keller, (24 Mar 2012), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/ the 'corrections' to "Naarden" and "jongm:" are in a different handwriting, suggesting the changes were made by someone else and at a later date.. Hereinafter cited as NGK Marriage Registers 1696-1712 (Cape Town).
- [S629] Personal communications between Mansell Upham and Delia Robertson, 2010-present. 19 febr:  Is na voorgaande belydenis gedoopt Inko de Chinees gen[aem]t Abraham
9 April 1703
De Kaapsche Kerkenraad aan de Classis Amsterdam [Spoelstra, no. 13, 35]
… dat ook een Chinees, na voorgaande belijdenisse van sijn geloov, deselve is toegedaan …
20 October 1703
… Dog, door Gods Bijsondere Genade, hebbe onlangs een Chinees – dat nog noyt hier voorgevallen is ….
- [S432] Robert C-H Shell compiler, Changing Hands, A calendar of bondage in southern Africa, 1550 to 1888, CD-ROM; ISBN 1-86918-063-1; (Cape Town: Ancestry24, September 2007), section on the princes of macassar, citing Letters despatched: Lijst … de … Macasarschen Princen C.501. Hereinafter cited as Changing Hands.
- [S734] VC 604, NGK Baptism Registers 1695-1712 (Cape Town): [19 Feb:r 1702] is na voorgaande belydenis gedoopt Inko de chinees, gent: - Abraham, (1695-1712), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/, http://www.eggsa.org/. Hereinafter cited as NGK Baptism Registers 1695-1712 (Cape Town).
- [S629] Mansell Upham.
- [S717] NGK G 1/1, Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk - First Marriage Register at the Cape, 1665-1712: 16 April 1702:
Abraham de Vey van China jongman
Maria Jacobs van Batavia jonged., as transcribed and annotated by Mansell Upham, (10 September 2012), Personal Library. Hereinafter cited as Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk - First Marriages.
- [S700] VC 604, NGK Marriage Registers 1696-1712 (Cape Town) transcribed by Corney Keller: "Kerkboek 1695-1712," p. 97, 16 Apr 1702, 16 April
Abraham Veij van China jongm:
met Maria Jacobs van Batavia jond:, 24 Mar 2012, Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/
- [S674] Mansell Upham 'Who is Jannetje Rutgertroost? A genealogical investigation into the origins of a Cape of Good Hope-born mesties woman variously found in the records as: Jannetie / Jannetie Hans:/Hanse: Rutgertroost', First Fifty Years, Uprooted Lives - Unfurling the Cape of Good Hope's Earliest Colonial Inhabitants (1652-1713), (http://e-family.co.za/ffy/ui66.htm), April 2012.
- [S734] VC 604, NGK Baptism Registers 1695-1712 (Cape Town): [12 Julij 1705] van Jacob van Ceijlon en Catrina van Ceylon, onder getuijge van Abram de Vijf en Maria Jacobz gent: - Daniel, 1695-1712, Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/
- [S740] Mansell Upham, "Claas Gerrits(z) van Bengale," in Die Claas(s)en Afstammelinge in Suid-Afrika, deel 1&2, (Nicolaas & Gert Hendrik Claassen, compilers, 2001), c2 Nicolaas / Claas Jansz Mulder baptised Klaas Stellenbosch 21 February 1694; married 25 November 1714
Leonora de Vyf, wid/o Andries Backstroom / Backstroom (step-daughter of den vrij Chinees Abraham de Vyf (formerly Juko baptised Abraham) & Maria van Batavia). Hereinafter cited as "Claas Gerrits(z) van Bengale."
- [S502] Website Family Search (www.familysearch.org).
- [S747] VC 605 (NGK G1-8/2), Burger Slave Baptisms, 1696-1712: Eodem die [13 June 1700]. een kind van Neniko, en Maria van Batavia, onder getuyge van Joost van Aventura, en Margareta van Hof, gent. — Beatrix, transcribed by Corney Keller, Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/. Hereinafter cited as Burger Slave Baptisms.
- [S502] Website Family Search (www.familysearch.org) "18 Dec: 1701, Van Inko de Chinees en Maria van Batavia, onder getuyge van Maria de Savoie, en Pieter Meijer, gent: Christina; CT Bap 17010703-17010925_17011002-17011218 (pp 22-23)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/…, last accessed 18 Dec 2013."