Rosetta van Bengale
F, #15507, b. circa 1720
|BirthOrigin*||Rosetta was from Bengal and was perhaps born there circa 1720. The date is estimated.1|
|Marriage*||She married Aron van Balij on 21 October 1742 Nederduitsche Gereformeerde Kerk, (Cape Town), de Caep de Goede Hoop.2,3|
|Marriage*||She married Johannes Jansz: van Batavia on 15 October 1758 Nederduitsche Gereformeerde Kerk, (Cape Town).4,5|
|Will*||Aron van Balij and Rosetta van Bengale left a will on 8 December 1747.6|
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||12 October 1734, the name of Rosetta was written in the record as Rosetta van Bengalen.1|
21 October 1742, the name of Rosetta was written in the record as Rosetta van de Kust.7
|Monsterrollen and Opgaafrollen (Muster and tax rolls)||1735 Rosetta van Bengale was enumerated on the opgaafrol (census/tax roll) in Cape District, she is enumerated with one daughter and one slave after Susanna Leendertsz (442) and before Johanna van Ceylon (444.)8|
1738 Rosetta van Bengale was enumerated on the opgaafrol (census/tax roll) in Cape District, she is enumerated with one slave after Ravia van der Kaap and before Manus van Macassar.9
|Slave Emancipations||On 12 October 1734 Rosetta van Bengale was emancipated by the Company, in terms of a resolution of the Council of Policy. A company slave, she had been entrusted to serve - in eijgendom toegetrouwd hebende - the now-deceased Rosetta van Bougies, that is Rosetta van Java.10,1|
In 1739 Aron van Balij was emancipated by Rosetta van Bengale.11
|Slaves owned by individuals||Between 1734 and 1739 Aron van Balij became the property of Rosetta van Bengale. She was a slave until 12 October 1734 and could therefor not have owned him until she was emancipated.|
- [S744] Mansell Upham 'God's Slave & Afrikaner 'Hearts of Darkness' - Abdullah alias Adolf Jonker (c. 1709-1779)', First Fifty Years, Uprooted Lives - Unfurling the Cape of Good Hope's Earliest Colonial Inhabitants (1652-1713), (http://e-family.co.za/ffy/ui66.htm), May 2013. "12 October 1734: Rosetta van Bengale manumitted by resolution of the Council of Policy [CA: C 3084, Obligatiën, Transporten van Slaven &c., (1734), pp. 133-134], viz: … Seekere Slave Meijd Gen:[aam]t Rosetta van Bengalen in eijgendom toegetrouwd hebbende de boovengen:[oemde] Rosetta van Bougis …."
- [S733] VC 621, NGK Marriage Registers 1713-1756 (Cape Town) transcribed by Corney Keller: [Den 21 October 1742] Aron van Batij [sic - Balij], en Rosetta van de Kust bijde vrijswarten., (1713-1756), Cape Town Archives Repository, Private Bag X9025, Cape Town, South Africa, 021-4624050. Hereinafter cited as NGK Marriage Registers 1713-1756 (Cape Town).
- [S744] Mansell Upham 'UL28 Adolf Jonker', Uprooted Lives - Unfurling the Cape of Good Hope's Earliest Colonial Inhabitants (1652-1713), "marries (3) Cape Town 21 October 1742
Arend / A(a)ron van Bali
Den 21 October  … Aron van Balij, en Rosetta van de Kust bijde vrijswarten."
- [S645] E-mails from Corney Keller to Delia Robertson, October 2011-November 2013 "1758
Den 15 October
Johannes Jonsz: van Batavia,
vrijzwart alhier jongman: met
Rosetta van Bengalen, weduwe
van Arend Balij."
- [S379] Delia Robertson, translator, Cape Melting Pot - the role and status of the mixed population at the Cape, 1652-1795 (Johannesburg, South Africa: Delia Robertson, 2005) Translated from Groep Sonder Grense, Die Rol en Status van die Gemengde Bevolking aan die Kaap 1652-1795, by H.F. Heese, M.A., PH.D , JANSEN, Johannes Batavia
x 1758 Rosetta van Bengal, widow of Arend van Bali
MR. Hereinafter cited as Cape Melting Pot.
- [S862] Joint Will of Aron van Balij and Rosetta van Bengale of Cape Town, 8 December 1747, MOOC, 7/1/10, NO. 37. Proved in the Master of the Orphan Chamber, 21 April 1758 (Western Cape Archives and Records Service).
- [S744] Mansell Upham 'UL28 Adolf Jonker', Uprooted Lives - Unfurling the Cape of Good Hope's Earliest Colonial Inhabitants (1652-1713), "[Den 21 October . … Aron van Balij, en Rosetta van de Kust bijde vrijswarten]"
- [S866] Opgaafrol, FILE NUMBER; J; Tax Rolls, 1735, Cape Archive Depot, 0443 Begale v VS Rosetta 1 (woman) 1 (daughter) 1 (slave) K. My thanks to Hans Heese for sharing his transcription of this opgaaf.
- [S867] Opgaafrol, FILE NUMBER; J; Tax Rolls, 1738, Cape Archive Depot, 0515 Bengale v VS Rosetta 1 (woman) 1 (slave) K. My thanks to Hans Heese for sharing his transcription of this opgaaf.
- [S861] Emancipation of Rosetta van Bengale 1734, 133-134; CJ 3084, Court of Justice; Obligatiën, Transporten van Slaven &c., 1734, Western Cape Archives and Records Service, Roeland Street, Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa.
- [S432] Robert C-H Shell compiler, Changing Hands, A calendar of bondage in southern Africa, 1550 to 1888, CD-ROM; ISBN 1-86918-063-1; (Cape Town: Ancestry24, September 2007), Slave First Name: Aron
Toponym: van Bali
Descent: Full breed
Name Type: Old Testament
Continental Origin: Indonesian Archipelago
Slave Place Origin: Bali
Simplified Age: Adult
Slave Status: Free Black
Kin Involved: No
Owner Related: No
No Of Slaves In Manumission Related: 1
Owner Surname: van Bengal
Owner First Name: Rosetta
Owner Ethnicity: Indian sub continent
Owner Toponym: van Bengal
Owner Death Status: Alive
Owner Gender: Female
Owner Status: Free Black
Owner Occupation: Housewife
Owner District: Table Valley
Manumitter Surname: van Bengal
Manumitter First Name: Rosetta
Manumitter Ethnicity: Indian sub continent
Manumitter Toponym: van Bengal
Manumitter Gender: Female
Manumitter Status: Freeblack
Sale Transaction Year: 1739
Manumission Type: Owner's wish
Right Of Manumission: Other
Year Freed: 1739
Reference: Leibbrandt; Requesten 2. Hereinafter cited as Changing Hands.