Candas van Pattana1
F, #16359, b. 1682/83
|BirthOrigin*||Candas was perhaps from Patan recorded variously as Pattana and Patana. She was perhaps born there in 1682/83. She was said to be 14 or 15 years old 1697. Patan is in Maharashtra, and she is later described as from Surat, also in Maharashtra. Although the two are quite distant, it is possible that slaves from across that region were sent to Surat for onward sale/shipment.1|
|Marriage De facto*||After 29 October 1697 Candas van Pattana and Jacobus Victor were in a de facto relationship. In the resolution granting the emancipation request of their son, it is clearly stated that Jacobus was his father.2|
|Jacobus Victor b. c 1669|
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||The name of Candas appeared as Candas van Patana in the cited publication(s.)3|
7 June 1699, the name of Candas was written in the record as Candares van Suratte.4
|Slave Transactions||On 11 May 1697 Frans van Malabar and Candas van Pattana were sold by Pieter van Helsdingen to Albert Coopman, for Rds. 130.5|
On 29 October 1697 Candas van Pattana was sold by Albert Coopman to Gerrit Victor, for Rds. 100.3
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700 (Cape Town: Tafelberg, 1977), p. 176.. Hereinafter cited as Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700.
- [S747] VC 605 (NGK G1-8/2), Burger Slave Baptisms, 1696-1712: 7 Juny 1699. van Candares van Suratte, slavin van Gerrit Victor, onder getuyge van Joost Ventura, en Maria van Bengale, gent. — Christiaan, transcribed by Corney Keller, Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/. Hereinafter cited as Burger Slave Baptisms.
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, p. 180. 29.10.1697, p. 265: Candas from Patana (15/16), sold by sick-comforter Albert Coopman to Gerrit Victor for Rds. 100.
- [S502] Website Family Search (www.familysearch.org) "7 Juny 1699. van Candares van Suratte ..."
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, p. 176. 11.5.1697, p. 166 (verso): Frans from Malabar (22/23) and Candas (female) from Pattana (14/15), sold by Pieter van Helsdingen, fiscal of the Zion, to sick-comforter Albert Coopmans for Rds. 130.