M, #5199, b. circa 1673, d. 3 January 1714
|Birth*||Franz Joosten was born circa 1673 in Lippstadt, Germany.1|
|Marriage*||He married Marie Mouton, daughter of Jacques Mouton and Marie de Villiers, in 1706 de Caep de Goede Hoop.2,3,1|
|Death*||He died on 3 January 1714 Vier-en-twintigriviere, de Caep de Goede Hoop, murdered by his wife Marie Mouton, and two slaves, one of whom, Titus van Bengale, was Marie's lover. The other was Fortuin van Angola and both were owned by Joosten. Joosten's body was stuffed down a warthog burrow, but his murder was exposed when the body was later dug up by animals.4,5,6,7 |
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||16 March 1710, the name of Franz was written in the record as Frans Joosten.8|
12 November 1712, the name of Franz was written in the record as Frans Joosten vander Lipstad.9
- [S204] Dr. J. Hoge, Personalia of the Germans at the Cape, 1652-1806, Archives Year Book for South African History (Cape Town: Government Printer, Union of South Africa, 1946), JOOST or JOOSTE., FRANZ. -Lippstadt. Arr. 1693 as so., loaned as shepherd 1693-96, as farmhand 1696. Mentioned as burgher 1699. ~ 1706 Maria Mouton of Middelburg. 2 sons. Murdered 3.1.1714 by his wife and his two slaves Titus of Bengal and Fortuin of Angola; date estimated by compiler. Hereinafter cited as Personalia.
- [S154] Pieter Coertzen, The Huguenots of South Africa 1688-1988 (28 Wale Street, Cape Town: Tafelberg Publishers Limited, 1988), Page 166. Hereinafter cited as The Huguenots of South Africa.
- [S156] Robert C-H Shell, Children of Bondage, A social history of the Slave Society at the Cape of Good Hope, 1652-1838 (1 Jan Smuts Avenue, Johannesburg, South Africa, 2001: Witwatersrand University Press, 1994), Page 317. Hereinafter cited as Children of Bondage.
- [S562] Precis of the archives of the Cape of Good Hope, W.A. van der Stel Journal, 1699-1732, H.C.V. Leibrandt; (Cape Town, South Africa: W. A. Richards & Sons, Government Printers, Castle Street, 1896), p.260: September1. -Maria Mouton, of Middelburg in Zealand, 24 years old, murdered her husband with the assistance of her paramour the slave Titus of Bengal. She is sentenced to be half strangled, after that to be scorched, and after that strangled until death. Titus to be empaled and to remain so, until death. After that his head and right hand are to be cut off and fixed on a pole, beyond the limits of his late master's property. Fortuin, an accomplice, is also to have his right hand cut off, and without receiving the coup de grace, is to be broken on the wheel. After that he is to be placed on a grating until death takes place. After that his head is to be cut off, and with his hand placed on a pole, together with the head and hand of Titus. After that the bodies are to be taken to the outside place of execution, and there left exposed to the air and the vultures. The properly of the woman is to be divided as follows:- A half of the half for the plaintiff, and the other half for the Orphan Chamber. Costs beforehand to be deducted.. Hereinafter cited as W.A. van der Stel Journal 1699-1732.
- [S150] Edited & augmented by GISA Originally compiled by J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, South African Genealogies 5 L-M, GISA SA Genealogies (Stellenbosch, South Africa: Genealogical Institute of South Africa, 1999), Page 704. Hereinafter cited as S.A. Genealogies 5 L-M.
- [S156] Robert C-H Shell, Children of Bondage.
- [S34] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, South African Genealogies 4 J-K (Pretoria: Human Sciences Research Council, 1992), p.126. ...vermoor op 31.1.1714 deur sy vrou en twee van sy slawe .... Hereinafter cited as S.A. Genealogies 4 J-K.
- [S325] Lorna Newcomb and Ockert Malan, compilers, Annale van Nederduits Gereformeerde Moedergemeente Stellenbosch No 1.., CD-ROM (Stellenbosch) Die Genootskap vir die Kerkversameling, 2004 0-9584832-1-3), Baptism Register, Jacob, de vader Frans Joosten, Moeder Maria Moùtton getùyge Jaqùes Teron, Jacqùemine de Prèe. 16 Maart .. Hereinafter cited as Palmkronieke I Baptisms.
- [S408] Drakenstein Heemkring, compilers, Drakenstein I Baptisms., CD-ROM (Paarl) Drakenstein Heemkring, 2006 , Baptism Register, 1712; 12de November. Francois. d'Vader Frans Joosten Van de Lipstad; d'Moeder Marie Mouton. Getuygen Francois dù Toit, en Moeder Cecil.. Hereinafter cited as Drakenstein I Baptisms.
- [S34] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, S.A. Genealogies 4 J-K, p 126.
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms, 1712; 12de November. Francois. d'Vader Frans Joosten Vander Lipstad; d'Moeder Marie Mouton. Getuygen Francois dù Toit, en Moeder Cecil.