|NGK Drakenstein Baptisms 1694-1732||NGK Drakenstein Baptisms 1694-1732|
|Birth*||Cecilea d'Atis was born in 1650 in Courtrai, Flandre.1|
|Marriage*||She married Hercules des Prez circa 1669.2|
|Marriage*||She married Pierre Dumont in 1700.3|
|Death*||She died in 1720.1|
|Hercules des Prez b. 1645, d. b 22 Nov 1696|
|(Passenger) ShipVoyage||On 19 February 1688 the Schelde departed Wielingen enroute to the Cape where it docked on 5 June 1688. Among those on board were Hercules des Prez, Cecilea d'Atis, Hercules des Prez, Elizabeth des Prez, Marie Jeanne des Prez and Philippe des Prez.4,5,6|
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||An unknown date , the name of Cecilea was written in the record as Cecilia Datis.|
24 August 1698, the name of Cecilea was written in the record as Sisijllia de Pres.7
10 April 1701, the name of Cecilea was written in the record as Sijsillia de Pre.8
2 October 1707, the name of Cecilea was written in the record as Cecilia Datijs.9
|Baptisms - Witness||Cecilea d'Atis potentially witnessed the baptism of Pieter van Maarseveen on 24 August 1698 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Drakenstein, de Caep de Goede Hoop, this witness has not been positively identified.7|
She and Hercules des Prez witnessed the baptism of Hercules du Preez on 10 April 1701 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Drakenstein, de Caep de Goede Hoop.8
She and Hercules des Prez witnessed the baptism of Hercules des Pres on 2 October 1707 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Drakenstein, de Caep de Goede Hoop.9
She potentially witnessed the baptism of Cecilia des Prez on 14 May 1713 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Drakenstein, de Caep de Goede Hoop, this witness has not been positively identified.10
She and Philippe des Prez witnessed the baptism of Hester de Pree on 27 February 1718 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Drakenstein, de Caep de Goede Hoop.11
|Notes||Possible ancestry of Cecilia D'Atis |
Susan Anneveldt has very kindly sent me the following information which seems to suggest that Cecelia D’Atis’ parents were Adam Dat (var.) and Cathalina/Catelijn de Roo of Leiden. Adam is the presumed son of Jan Dath(e) and Gillette of Valenciennes.
"Cecile d’Atis, wife of Hercule des Prez, is believed to have been born around 1650 in Kortrijk/Courtrai, in the West Flanders part of what is now Belgium. Boucher, writing in his bookFrench Speakers at the Cape: the European Background, says “Hercule de Prez and his family were at Flushing in Zeeland by 1686, together with his wife’s brother Nicolas Datis.” It must be noted that the “s” at the end of the name is silent, and Boucher suggest the name origin as being for the village of Athis, over the border from France in Belgium. In the church records for the Dutch city of Leiden, a French Huguenot refuge, the names Daté, Datee, Dathe, Dath, and Dat appear, and include the first names of a Nicolas, and his brothers Adam and Jan/Jean. They came originally from “Valencijn” (Valenciennes) in France (not very far from Athis), and their baptisms, along with those of their siblings, are all recorded in the records of the St. Jacques church in Valenciennes, in the years 1611, 1613, and 1618 respectively, as children of Jan Dath(e) and Gillette Detournay. All three marry in Leiden and have children. Adam Dat (with name variations) marries Cathalina/Catelijn de Roo of Leiden, and they baptize children in Leiden in the years 1642, 1643, and 1653 (Adam, Celijntjen, and Maria respectively). In the almost 10 years in between the appearances of the second and third child, could a Cecile and Nicolas have been born elsewhere? If not children of this family, the name of Nicolas points to a probable family connection."
Susan’s sources for this information are the following webpages:
The webpage of the FAMILLE DATH(E) ? VALENCIENNES on Geneachtimi
Details for Jan DATH on Geneanet)
The website of
Erfgoed Leiden en Omstreken)
If you have any questions or are able to confirm or add to this information, please contact Susan directly at:
- [S154] Pieter Coertzen, The Huguenots of South Africa 1688-1988 (28 Wale Street, Cape Town: Tafelberg Publishers Limited, 1988), p. 157. Hereinafter cited as The Huguenots of South Africa.
- [S154] Pieter Coertzen, The Huguenots of South Africa, p. 159.
- [S486] Colin Graham Botha, The French Refugees at the Cape (Cape Town: Cape Times Limited, 1921), p.66; Dumont, Pierre [Robert], an agriculturist at Drakenstein, in 1700 married Cecilia D' Atis, widow of Hercules des Pres, Sr. She died 15th November, 1720, and was then living on the farm "Soetendal" in Drakenstein.. Hereinafter cited as The French Refugees at the Cape.
- [S351] Grahame Naudé, "Dutch East India Company Shipping", Familia (DEIC Shipping) 43 Number 1 (2006): Details of voyage 1558.2 from Wielingen to Batavia
Name of ship SCHELDE
Master Scheiteruit, Aarnoud
Type of ship jacht
Date of departure 19-02-1688
Place of departure Wielingen
Arrival at Cape 05-06-1688
Departure from Cape 01-07-1688
Date of arrival at destination 16-09-1688
Place of arrival Batavia
Particulars Via S. Tiago.
Next homeward voyage 5853.2
On Board I II III IV V VI
Seafarers 107 5 3 8 97
Soldiers 105 4 4 2 103
Passengers 29 27 3 1 4
Gegevens over de opvarenden bij het Nationaal Archief. Hereinafter cited as "Dutch East India Company Shipping."
- [S575] M. Boucher, French Speakers at the Cape in the first hundred years of Dutch East India Company rule: The European background (Pretoria: University of South Africa, 1981), p.269. Hereinafter cited as French Speakers at the Cape.
- [S486] Colin Graham Botha, The French Refugees at the Cape, p.65.
- [S408] Drakenstein Heemkring, compilers, Drakenstein I Baptisms., CD-ROM (Paarl) Drakenstein Heemkring, 2006 , Baptism Register, Le 24 a'oust Lanee 1698; Pierre fils Pierre Marcevene, et de Elizabeth de Pres, Le temoins Et Pierre Dumo Et Sisijllia de Pres pour Marrainne.. Hereinafter cited as Drakenstein I Baptisms.
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms, Le 10 Avril 1701; Hercules fils de Philippe de Pret, et de Elizabet Prevost le temoins Hercules de Pret et la gran mere Sijsillia de Pre pour Marraine.
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms, 1707; 2 Octobr.: Hercules; d' Vader Francois des Pres, en d' Moeder Marie Cordier. Gertuygen Hercules des Pres, en Cicilia Datijs.
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms, 1713; 14de Maij; Cecila van d' Vader Phillpe des Prez, en Elisabeth Prevoos moder; de getuygen Pieter Jansz van Maarsevern de Jonge, en Cecilia des Prez.
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms, Anno 1718; Den 17ste Dito [Febr]; Hester, doghter van Philip De Pree, en Elisabeth Prevoo. Getuijgen de Vader en Cicilia Datis.
- [S331] Webpage Ball Family Records (www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk) "http://www.ballfamilyrecords.co.uk/kfp/I037.html."