M, #7550, b. 24 August 1710
|(Beneficiary) LiquidDist|| Between 3 May 1714 and 30 September 1716 a liquidation and distribution account was prepared in the estate of Sara Couchet Cabo de Goede Hoop. The inventory named Abraham le Clercq, Pieter Becker, Jannetje de Clercq, Guilliam Oberholster, Joannes Oberholster and Johanna Barbara Oberholster as benefitting from the estate. Pieter Becker was named beneficiary as the husband of Jannetje de Clercq, and the Oberholster siblings inherited through their deceased mother, Helena du Toit. The fact that Anna de Clercq, who was alive at the time, is as not named as a beneficiary is telling and adds to the evidence that she was not a legitimate daughter of Abraham de Clercq.3 |
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||2 May 1728, the name of Joannes was written in the record as Jan Oberholster.2|
|Vrijbriewen and Burgher Status||Joannes Oberholster became a burgher on 2 May 1728, in Dutch vryburgher or vrijburgher, initially a status in which a soldier or other employee of the VOC was released from their contractual obligations to the VOC and permitted to farm, become a tradesman, or work for others. Subsequently some individuals, including the Huguenot refugees, were brought to the Cape specifically to farm and were burghers from the time of their arrival Drakenstein.2|
- [S325] Lorna Newcomb and Ockert Malan, compilers, Annale van Nederduits Gereformeerde Moedergemeente Stellenbosch No 1.., CD-ROM (Stellenbosch) Die Genootskap vir die Kerkversameling, 2004 0-9584832-1-3), Baptism Register. Hereinafter cited as Palmkronieke I Baptisms.
- [S470] Drakenstein Heemkring, compilers, Drakenstein I Marriages., CD-ROM (Paarl) Drakenstein Heemkring, 2006 , Marriage Register, Den 2 Mey 1728. Jan Oberholster van Cabo de GoedeHoop, Borger aan Drakensteyn J.M. met Elizabeth Provo van Cabo voornoemt. J.D.. Hereinafter cited as Drakenstein I Marriages.
- [S812] Liquidation and distribution account of the personal estate of Sara Couchet & Guiljam Du Toit of Cabo de Goede Hoop, dated 3 May 1714-30 Sept 1716 (eGSSA - MOOC 13/1/1 Boedelrekeninge 1709-1722, CD no. 1).
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms, Joannes, d' Vader Jan Oberholsser, d' Moeder Helena du Toit, 24 Aùg. 1701.
- [S408] Drakenstein Heemkring, compilers, Drakenstein I Baptisms., CD-ROM (Paarl) Drakenstein Heemkring, 2006 , Baptism Register, Den 19 Junij 1729; K: Anna Elizabeth; V: Jan Overholster; M: Elizabeth Provo; G: Abraham Provoo, Anna Marseveen.. Hereinafter cited as Drakenstein I Baptisms.
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms, 1732; item [den 7de 10br]; Abraham; Jan Oberholster ende Elisabeth Provoo; Charle du Plessies en Cicilia Marseveen.
- [S190] C.C. de Villiers & C. Pama, Geslagregisters van ou Kaapse Families II L-R (Cape Town / Amsterdam: A.A. Balkema, 1966), p.659. Hereinafter cited as Geslagregisters van ou Kaapse Families II L-R.