M, #10748, b. 1671, d. 2 September 1718
|Birth*||Pierre Cronjé was born in 1671.3|
|Marriage*||He married Suzanne Taillefert, daughter of Isaac Taillefert and Suzanne Briet, before January 1709 de Caep de Goede Hoop. This marriage has been assumed and the date based on the appearance of Pieter Cronje in the 1709 opgaafrol with a wife, a son and a daughter. These could only have been Susanna Taillefer and her son and daughter with her former, deceased, husband Jean Garde. However, in the baptism record of the couple's first child Marie in June 1710, the mother, in her capacity as witness to the baptism, is described as veuve, widow, which raises the (remote?) possibility that she and Pierre Cronje were not yet legally married.4,3|
|Death*||He died on 2 September 1718 de Caep de Goede Hoop.3|
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||4 October 1704, the name of Pierre was written in the record as Pieter Cronje.5|
8 November 1711, the name of Pierre was written in the record as Pierre Croignee.6
- [S408] Drakenstein Heemkring, compilers, Drakenstein I Baptisms., CD-ROM (Paarl) Drakenstein Heemkring, 2006 , Baptism Register, 1710, -- [1 Junij], Marie. d'vader Pierre Cronje, en d'moeder Susanna Taillefer, getuygen Estienne Croignee, en Susanna Taillefer, veuve.. Hereinafter cited as Drakenstein I Baptisms.
- [S486] Colin Graham Botha, The French Refugees at the Cape (Cape Town: Cape Times Limited, 1921), p.65. Estienne and Pierre of Normandy, two brothers.... Hereinafter cited as The French Refugees at the Cape.
- [S153] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, South African Genealogies 1 A-C, HSRC SA Genealogies (Pretoria: Institute for Historical Research, Division Genealogical Research, Pretoria, 1986, 1989), ISBN 0-620-23962-X, p. 681. Hereinafter cited as S.A. Genealogies 1.
- [S21] Date estimated by compiler, Delia Robertson and, unless there is corroborating information, should not be considered as anything more than a guide.
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms, [4 Oct 1704], Pieter. d'Vader Jacob de la Porte, d'Moeder Sara Vitoe; getuygen Pieter Cronje, en Marie [Suson?] du Prés.
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms, 1711; [7de 9br]; Elisabeth, d' vader Pierre Croignee: d' moeder Susanna Taillefer, getuygen Pierre Villiers, en Elisabeth Taillefer.
- [S756] Opgaafrol, unknown file number; J; Tax Rolls, 1709, Cape Archive Depot, 1709 M VAN NAAM M V S D K M V S D P S B W L K W R W G W S P D
0244 CRONJE K PIETER 1 1 1 1 3 7 35 150 4000 2 5 55 1 1 1 D. My thanks to Hans Heese for sharing his transcription of this opgaaf.
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms.
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms, 1711; [7de 9br]; Elisabeth, d' vader Peirre Croigneè: d' moeder Súsanna Taillefer, getúygen Pierre Villiers, en Elisabeth Taillefer.
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms, 1713; 24de Sept; Pierre. Soon van Pierre Croigneé, en Sùsanne Taillefer. Getùygen Pierre Taillefer & Maria Marais.