M, #14071, b. circa 1663, d. before 31 December 1716
|(Witness) Abjuration|| Between 23 October 1685 and 27 October 1685, St. Martin de la Brasque, following the revocation of the Edict of Nantes, Jehane Marque, and her sons Pierre Jourdan and Jean Jourdan abdured their faith.7 |
|(Refugees) ShipVoyage|| On 20 March 1688 the China departed Goeree enroute to de Caep de Goede Hoop where it docked on 4 August 1688. Among those on board were a group of eight orphan girls sent to the Cape following requests by Jan van Riebeeck (1659) and Simon van der Stel (1685) that the Heeren XVII send between 20 and 40 marriageable girls to the Cape. When they were finally sent in 1688 the Heeren XVII wrote that they had been selected because of their experience in farming and it was suggested they be encouraged to marry farmers. They were: Ariaante Jansse, Willemyntje Ariens de Wit, Ariaantje Jacobs, Judith Verbeek, Engeltje Cornelisse van der Bout, Catharina Jansz van der Zee, Petronella Cornelisz and Anna Elkop. Also, on board were 28 Huguenot refugees from Provence, of whom 8, mostly women, died enroute. The refugees who commenced this 19 week voyage were Matthieu Fracassé, Pierre Jaubert, Susanne Reyne, Pierre Jourdan, Marie Jourdan, Jeanne Rousse, Marie Rousse, Marguerite Rousse, André Pellanchon, Paul Jourdan, Pierre la Grange, Jehane Marque, Jean Jourdan, Pierre Jourdan, Jean Mesnard, Louise Courbonne, Marie Anthonarde, Pierre Malan, Elisabeth Richarde, Jacques Malan and Paul Roux.8,9,10 |
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||16 November 1704, the name of Pierre was written in the record as Pierre Jourdaan.3|
- [S692] Harry Booyens, "Pierre de Cabrières and Pierre de Belle Etoile", Familia (Pierre de Cabrières and Pierre de Belle Etoile) Familia 49 (3) (2012): Pierre Jourdan de Belle Etoile; *Luberon 1664. Arrived at the Cape on the ship “China” on 4 August 1688. Later property owner in Table Valley. † Before Dec 1716 x Adriana Junius. Hereinafter cited as "Pierre de Cabrières and Pierre de Belle Etoile."
- [S486] Colin Graham Botha, The French Refugees at the Cape (Cape Town: Cape Times Limited, 1921), p. 141 ... 1 Pierre J ourdan idem 24 do.- anticipated passenger list for ship China dated 23 December 1687. Hereinafter cited as The French Refugees at the Cape.
- [S502] Website Family Search (www.familysearch.org) " 16 Octob Pierre Joùrdaan met Adriana Jùnius
- [S717] NGK G 1/1, Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk - First Marriage Register at the Cape, 1665-1712: 16 October 1701:
Adriana Junius, as transcribed and annotated by Mansell Upham, (10 September 2012), Personal Library. Hereinafter cited as Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk - First Marriages.
- [S700] VC 604, NGK Marriage Registers 1696-1712 (Cape Town), 1695-1712: "Kerkboek 1695-1712," p. 96,  16 Octob:
Pierre Jourdaan met Adriana
Junius, transcribed by Corney Keller, (24 Mar 2012), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/sarecords/. Hereinafter cited as NGK Marriage Registers 1696-1712 (Cape Town).
- [S801] Liquidation and distribution account of the personal estate of Pieter Jourdaan of Cabo de Goede Hoop, dated 31 December 1716 (Western Cape Archives and Records Service, MOOC 13/1/1 Nr. 105).
- [S692] Harry Booyens, "Pierre de Cabrières and Pierre de Belle Etoile", Jehane Marque abjures with her two sons Pierre and Jean between 23 and 27 October 1685 at St. Martin.
- [S795] Website The Dutch East India Company's shipping between the Netherlands and Asia 1595-1795 (http://resources.huygens.knaw.nl/das/search).
- [S568] Webpage Weesmeisies (http://www.eggsa.org/articles/Weesmeisies.htm#seven).
- [S766] Harry Booyens 'God Bless the Good Ship China', First Fifty Years, (http://e-family.co.za/ffy/ui125.htm), March 2012, "http://www.e-family.co.za/remarkablewriting/…."
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700 (Cape Town: Tafelberg, 1977), p. 194. 27.10.1700: Christiaen (25) and Coridon (18), both from Coromandel, sold by Jan Dircx de Beer to Pieter Jordaan for Rds. 100 each.. Hereinafter cited as Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700.
- [S502] Website Family Search (www.familysearch.org) " 6 Aùg: van Pieter Jordaan, en Johanna Adriana Jùniùs, onder getuijge van Cornelis Victor en Cornelia Jùniùs, gent_ Johanna."
- [S502] Website Family Search (www.familysearch.org) " 16 Nov: van Pieter Jordaan, en Johanna Adriana Jùniùs, onder etuyge van Jacobùs Adriaanz van [_____] en Cornelia Jacboa Jùniùs gent_ Maria."