Jacob van Macassar1,2
M, #14189, b. between 1659 and 1664
|BirthOrigin*||Jacob was from Macassar and was perhaps born there between 1659 and 1664. He was said to be between 30 and 31 in April 1690, and the following month 26 to 27.1 |
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||On 1 May 1690 Jacob was incorrectly named in the record as I assumed this to be the same individual purchased by Rootstein from Joan Parvé in April 1690 with a different toponym and indeed Hattingh noted that Böeseken had mistranscribed the provenance.2,3|
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700 (Cape Town: Tafelberg, 1977), p.156.. Hereinafter cited as Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700.
- [S606] J.L. (Leon) Hattingh, "A.J. Böeseken se Addendum van Kaapse slawe-verkoopstransaksies: Foute en regstellings", Kronos (Foute en regstellings) 9 (1984): … "Jacob van Madagaskar" eintlik weer van Macassar is (1.5.1690).. Hereinafter cited as "Foute en regstellings."
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, p.156. 1.5.1690, pp. 453-454: Jacob from Madagascar (26/27), sold by Jacob Rootstein to Hendrik Venter for Rds. 90.
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, p.156. 13.4.1690, pp. 376-377: Jacob from Macassar (30/31) and Alij from Bouton (25/26), sold by Joan Parvé to J acob Rootstein [Rootsteen] for Rds. 70 [each].
- [S606] J.L. (Leon) Hattingh, "Foute en regstellings", … en ook nie Rootstein soos in 13.4.1690 vermeld nie. In die betrokke geval is die twee slawe nie saam vir 70 Rds. verkoop nie, maar het elkeen 70 Rds. gekos.
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, p. 174. 13.9.1696, pp. 102-103: Jacob from Macassar (33/34), sold by Hendrik Venter to Free Black Intje Poetje for f 400, Indian valuation.