Maria van de Cust1,2
F, #16242, b. between 1682 and 1688
|BirthOrigin*||Maria may have been from the Indonesian Archipelago and was perhaps born there between 1682 and 1688. She was included in a group of slaves from this region and who were all said to between 8 and 14 years old in 1696.2 |
- Anna Lucretia van de Caep b. b 8 Mar 1705; I have assumed the mother to be the same woman sold to Simon van der Stel in 1696 simply as Maria without provenance. She fits the age profile, and I have not yet identified any other slave named Maria and owned by Simon van der Stel at the time4
|Slave Transactions||On 4 February 1696 Isse Cici van Tamanawol, Sambo Namgombe van Tamboijt, Carra Sova van Tansumo, Inpieta van Tamanawol, Ereffa van Temetard, Sambo van Temetard, Hallahtava van Tevekaeijn, Mohua van Tevekaeijn, Etobe van Tanboijaijt, Ekoota Raeij Hoolbee van Tancinaaij, Maria van de Cust and Aurora Origin Unknown were sold by Richard Glover to Simon van der Stel, as a group for Rds. 650 or f 1,950.3|
- [S502] Website Family Search (www.familysearch.org) "[8 Mart: 1705] Van Maria vande Cust …."
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700 (Cape Town: Tafelberg, 1977), p.171-172.. Hereinafter cited as Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700.
- [S418] Anna J. Böeseken, Slaves and Free Blacks at the Cape 1658-1700, p.171-172. 4.2.1696, p. 24: The following slaves were sold by Richard Glover, the captain of the English vessel Amity, to Simon van der Stel: Isse Cici from Tamanewol; Sambo Nangombe from Tamboijt; Carra Sova from Tansumo; Inpieta from Tamanewol; Ereffa from Temetard; Samba from Temetard; Hallantava from Tevekaeijn; Mohua from Tevekaeijn; Etobe from Tanboijaijt; Ekoota Raeij Hoolbee from Tancinaaij. as well as Maria and Aurora. The ages of these slaves ranged from 8 to 14 years and Simon van der Stel paid Glover Rds. 650 or f 1 950.
- [S502] Website Family Search (www.familysearch.org) "[8 Mart: 1705] Van Maria vande Cust, onder getuyge van Hendrik van Macasser en Christina, alle lyfygens van d Edele heer Simon vander Stel, gen[aemt]t. — Anna Lucretia
- [S502] Website Family Search (www.familysearch.org) "[23 November 1710] Een kind van Adam Sol, en Maria van Cormandel, Lijf-eijgen van den oud-gouverneur Simon van der Stel; de getuigen Jacob Cornelis van Mallabaar, en Sara van Madegascar. — Adam