F, #5112, b. before 6 January 1697, d. circa 1753
|Birth*||Cornelia Botha was born before 6 January 1697 in de Caep de Goede Hoop.2|
|Baptism||Cornelija Cornelis was baptized on 6 January 1697 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Stellenbosch, de Caep de Goede Hoop. The baptism was witnessed by Cornelia Holms and Jan Jacobs.3,4 |
|Marriage*||She married Hans Jurgen Potgieter, son of Harmen Jansz Potgieter and Isabella Frederiksz, on 31 March 1720 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Drakenstein, de Caep de Goede Hoop.5,6|
|Marriage*||She married Cornelis van Rooyen, son of Reijnier van Roijen and Fijke Vermeulen, on 15 April 1738 de Caep de Goede Hoop.4|
|Death*||She died circa 1753.4|
|(Child5) Ménage à trois|| Between 11 June 1683 and 1700 Maria Kickers and Jan Cornelisz were legally married, but at the same time, from at least 1687 Frederich Both and Maria were lovers, apparently with the agreement of Jan. During divorce proceedings in 1700 Maria conceded that eight of her children, that is Theunis Botha, Willem Bootha, Catrijna Both, Cornelia Botha, Anna Bota, Maria Botha and Johannes Botha were fathered by Frederich Both(a) with the apparent encouragement (aanleijding) of her spouse, Jan Cornelisz, at the time. All of these offspring subsequently used the surname Both(a). However, in 1689 two women alleged that Theunis, Maria's oldest child, was fathered by Ferdinandùs Appel. This is born out by modern DNA tests, which have shown that direct patrilineal descendants of Theunis tested positive for the same Y-DNA haplogroup as direct patrilineal descendants of Appel.7 |
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||6 January 1697, the name of Cornelia was written in the record as Cornelija Cornelis.1|
31 March 1720, the name of Cornelia was written in the record as Cornilia Bota.5
- [S325] Lorna Newcomb and Ockert Malan, compilers, Annale van Nederduits Gereformeerde Moedergemeente Stellenbosch No 1.., CD-ROM (Stellenbosch) Die Genootskap vir die Kerkversameling, 2004 0-9584832-1-3), Baptism Register, Cornelija dogter van Jan Cornelis de moeder Marij Kickers [?] gedoopt de 6er Januar 1697 als getuijgen Jan Jacob, Cornelia Helm.. Hereinafter cited as Palmkronieke I Baptisms.
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms.
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms, Cornelija dogter van Jan Cornelis de moeder Marij Kickers [?] gedoopt de 6er Januar 1697 als getuijgen Jan Jacob, Cornelia Helm.
[DR: This baptism appears in the record between 28 Sept 1695 and 31 January 1696 - it is possible (probable?) therefor that the baptism was actually on 6 Jan 1696.]
- [S316] GISA, South African Genealogies 10 Roo-Schn, GISA SA Genealogies (Stellenbosch, South Africa: Genealogical Institute of South Africa, 2004). Hereinafter cited as S.A. Genealogies 10 Roo-Schn.
- [S470] Drakenstein Heemkring, compilers, Drakenstein I Marriages., CD-ROM (Paarl) Drakenstein Heemkring, 2006 , Marriage Register, Anno 1720; Den 31 Maart Hans Jurgen Potgieter, Jongman van Drakenstein met Cornilia Bota Jonge Dogter.. Hereinafter cited as Drakenstein I Marriages.
- [S153] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, South African Genealogies 1 A-C, HSRC SA Genealogies (Pretoria: Institute for Historical Research, Division Genealogical Research, Pretoria, 1986, 1989), ISBN 0-620-23962-X, Page 382. Hereinafter cited as S.A. Genealogies 1.
- [S566] Divorce Record Kickers-Cornelisz, 3: 22.01; CJ, 1700, Western Cape Archives and Records Service.
- [S329] Eric Swardt, "Die Nageslag van Harmen Jansz Potgieter", February 2006. . Hereinafter cited as "Potgieter Register."