M, #6047, b. 15 April 1686
|Father-Legal*||Frederich Both b. 4 Mar 1653; Although not the biological father, Frederich Both was legal and step father to Theunis Botha, and contemporaneously believed to be his biological father. He evidently filled the role as primary father.|
|Mother*||Maria Kickers1 b. c 1662|
|Father||Ferdinandùs Appel b. 4 Oct 1665, d. 1717; DNA tests show that Ferdinand Appel was the biological father of Theunis Botha2|
|(Child1) Ménage à trois|| Between 11 June 1683 and 1700 Maria Kickers and Jan Cornelisz were legally married, but at the same time, from at least 1687 Frederich Both and Maria were lovers, apparently with the agreement of Jan. During divorce proceedings in 1700 Maria conceded that eight of her children, that is Theunis Botha, Willem Bootha, Catrijna Both, Cornelia Botha, Anna Bota, Maria Botha and Johannes Botha were fathered by Frederich Both(a) with the apparent encouragement (aanleijding) of her spouse, Jan Cornelisz, at the time. All of these offspring subsequently used the surname Both(a). However, in 1689 two women alleged that Theunis, Maria's oldest child, was fathered by Ferdinandùs Appel. This is born out by modern DNA tests, which have shown that direct patrilineal descendants of Theunis tested positive for the same Y-DNA haplogroup as direct patrilineal descendants of Appel.7 |
|Names in the record, in publications, etc.||11 February 1713, the name of Theunis was written in the record as Teùnis Bota.8|
|Baptisms - Witness||Theunis Botha and Cristina Snijman witnessed the baptism of Frederick Scheepers on 19 May 1715 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Drakenstein, de Caep de Goede Hoop.9|
He and Margareta Viljon witnessed the baptism of Margaretha Lombard on 20 March 1718 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Drakenstein, de Caep de Goede Hoop.10
He and Marguerite-Thérèse de Savoye witnessed the baptism of Maria Magdalena Coetzer on 20 February 1724 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Drakenstein, de Caep de Goede Hoop.11
He witnessed the baptism of Marija Elisabeth Coetzer on 19 January 1727 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Drakenstein, de Caep de Goede Hoop.12
He and Margaretha Botha witnessed the baptism of Margaretha Botha on 6 July 1727 Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Drakenstein, de Caep de Goede Hoop.13
|Notes||A DNA study has found that male descendants of Maria Kickers are from two different Y-chromosome DNA haplogroups. Known descendants of Theunis Botha share the same Y-chromosome DNA as a direct descendant of Ferdinandùs Appel — while descendants of the other sons have different Y-chromosome DNA — most likely that of Frederich Both. This evidence supports an allegation made by two women in 1689 that Theunis — Maria's oldest child — was fathered by Appel. Maria subsequently testified that all her children were fathered by Both and not her husband Jan Cornelisz aka Jan Bombam. Read the attached article by Jaco Greeff who did the DNA study.|
- [S397] NGK G1 1/1, Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Bapt.), 1665-1695: den 15 dito (April) Theunis
Jan Cornelis van Outbeierland en Maria Kickers, transcribed by Richard Ball, Norfolk, England, (May 2006), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/. Hereinafter cited as Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Bapt.).
- [S748] Jaco M. Greeff & J. Christoff Erasmus, "Appel Botha Cornelitz: The abc of a three hundred year old divorce case", Forensic Science International: Genetics (Appel Botha Cornelitz) 7 Issue 5 (September 2013): Abstract
In 1683 Maria Kickers and Jan Cornelitz got married in Cape Town. Today, 330 years later, the living patrilineal descendants of Maria's four sons, number in excess of 76,000 people. Curiously, none of them carry the surname Cornelitz – in fact, they are all called Botha and include former President P.W. Botha, general Louis Botha and Minister Pik Botha. The reason for this anomaly is also the reason why Jan got divorced from Maria in 1700. According to Maria's testimonies she did indeed have a long term relationship with Frederik Botha, but in her defence she claimed that her husband was impotent and that he actually encouraged her. Other witnesses, presumably prompted by Jan, gave testimonies that implied that Maria was in fact licentious. We combined haplotyping with the AmpFlSTR® Yfiler™ kit with deep-rooting genealogies to show that Maria's first son was actually fathered by Ferdinandus Appel and that roughly half the living Bothas (38,000 people) actually descend from Ferdinandus Appel while the remaining three sons all stem from the same father, presumably Frederik Botha, and this implies that Maria's husband did not father any of her sons.. Hereinafter cited as "Appel Botha Cornelitz."
- [S21] Date estimated by compiler, Delia Robertson and, unless there is corroborating information, should not be considered as anything more than a guide - based on date of baptism.
- [S203] Mansell Upham 'Cape Mothers: Groote Catrijn van Paliacatta (c. 1631-1683), her slave Maria van Bengale & her daughter-in-law Marguerite-Thérèse de Savoye (1673-1742)', First Fifty Years, Uprooted Lives - Unfurling the Cape of Good Hope's Earliest Colonial Inhabitants (1652-1713), (http://e-family.co.za/ffy/ui66.htm), October 2014.
- [S153] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, South African Genealogies 1 A-C, HSRC SA Genealogies (Pretoria: Institute for Historical Research, Division Genealogical Research, Pretoria, 1986, 1989), ISBN 0-620-23962-X, page 361. Hereinafter cited as S.A. Genealogies 1.
- [S470] Drakenstein Heemkring, compilers, Drakenstein I Marriages., CD-ROM (Paarl) Drakenstein Heemkring, 2006 , Marriage Register, Den 13 Junius . Theunis Botha van Cabo der Goede Hoop heemraad aan Drakensteyn weduwenaar met Maria Catharina van Eeden van Cabo voornmd. Weduwe wylen Jan Hermze Potgieter.. Hereinafter cited as Drakenstein I Marriages.
- [S566] Divorce Record Kickers-Cornelisz, 3: 22.01; CJ, 1700, Western Cape Archives and Records Service.
- [S325] Lorna Newcomb and Ockert Malan, compilers, Annale van Nederduits Gereformeerde Moedergemeente Stellenbosch No 1.., CD-ROM (Stellenbosch) Die Genootskap vir die Kerkversameling, 2004 0-9584832-1-3), Baptism Register, Christoffel, de Vader Teùnis Bota, d'moeder Maria Snymans, getù Hans Jùrrien Appels met Roeltie Sophia Appels, 11 Feb 1713. Hereinafter cited as Palmkronieke I Baptisms.
- [S408] Drakenstein Heemkring, compilers, Drakenstein I Baptisms., CD-ROM (Paarl) Drakenstein Heemkring, 2006 , Baptism Register, Anno 1715; Den 19de Maij; Frederik, soon van Coenraad Scheper en Maria Bota. Getùygen Tùnis Bota en Christina Snijman.. Hereinafter cited as Drakenstein I Baptisms.
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms, Anno 1718; Den 20ste Dito [Maart]; Magrita, doghter van Anthonie Lombert en Johanna Snijman. Getuijgen Tùnis Bota en Margrita Viljon.
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms, 1724; Dito [ Den 20ste Dito - Februar]; Maria Magdalena, doghter van Jacob Coetzer en Susanna Snijman. Getuijgen [Louis] Bota end Margrita Savoien.
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms, Den 19 Januarij 1727; K: Marija Elizabeth; V: Jacob Coetzer; M: Susanna Snijmans; G: Theunis Bota.
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms, Den 6 Julij 1725; K: Margaretha; V: Johannes Bota; M: Anna van der Merwe; G: Theunes Bota, Mararetha Bota.
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms, 1711
7de November; Teunis; Vader Teunis Bota, d' MOeder Anna Magdalena Snijman. Getuijgen Henning Viljon, & Margareta de Savoja.
- [S325] Baptism Register, Palmkronieke I Baptisms.
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms.
- [S153] J.A. Heese & R.T.J. Lombard, S.A. Genealogies 1, p. 364; the SAG and other reference works have this Jacobus baptised on 8 Aug 1717 in Stellenbosch. In fact that baptism belongs tohis first cousin Jacobus, the son of Jacobus Botha b. 1692 and Elsie Snijman; he married Sophia van Rooyen in 1729.
- [S33] C.C. de Villiers & C. Pama, Geslagregisters van ou Kaapse Families I A-K (Cape Town / Amsterdam: A.A. Balkema, 1966), p. 80. Hereinafter cited as Geslagregisters van ou Kaapse Families I A-K.
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms, 1721
Den 2nd Maart; zoon van Theunis Bota en Maria Maghdalena Snijmans Getuijgen Filip Snijman en Christina [Eeldonse].
- [S408] Baptism Register, Drakenstein I Baptisms, 1722
Den 13 Dito [September]; Philippus Rodolphus, zoon van Theunis Bota en Maria Snijman. Getuijgen Philip en Elisabeth Snijman.